Run flat tires are terrible!

Old 06-22-2015, 04:50 AM
Default Run flat tires are terrible!

Hello, my first post. A month ago I purchased a 2008 Mini Cooper S Convertible R52 JCW the last supercharged model before turbocharge. I would have to say what is so great about run flat tires? They are so stiff that you feel every small bump on the road. One would think that over time something would go wrong with the suspension, since it gets beat up everyday! I'm not a fan of the run flats & will change these out when mine go bad. I read other post & some have concern of space for a spare tire. No way I'm taking up precious space for a spare tire, I haven't really needed one anyways. If I get a blow out I call AAA to tow me home. In Fact the only blow out I've had I did not need AAA, I was close to many tire shops, including walmart. I took my tire to them, they replaced it & then I mounted it back on the car. As for the many nails & misc holes I've received over the last 35 years, tire plugs has always been the answer. It's so easy, remove the object, plug the tire & pump it up. This is a permanent fix & you can be back on the road in 10-20 minutes. Not having a spare is not for everyone, but for some you may find you really don't need it, as I have. Yikes I'm getting off my original point, I really don't care much for run flat tires. What a great forum this is. I'm so happy to find alot of nice people with helpful information about a wonderful fun car we drive. JD

Old 06-23-2015, 03:28 PM

I'm with you there brother! I hate my runflats also! They have no grip in wet weather. I've fishtailed countless times when the road is wet. I'm going to wait til mines are bad before getting a real good set like some Falkens or Nittos.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:49 PM

Wow, thanks for the heads up on weather & bad traction with the run flats. I have not driven in wet weather, the drought here in CA has made sure of that for some time now. I'm sure I will get an opportunity to drive carefully in wet weather, strong predictions are saying a Super El Nino will settle this drought problem late Nov 2015, we will see. Thanks for your post, I will be careful when it rains. JD