What to look in an used 2011 Cooper S with 67K miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 08:29 AM
Default What to look in an used 2011 Cooper S with 67K miles

I would like to get a Mini Cooper S and I looking for model 2011 and up. I found a 2011 with 67k miles and I would like to know what do I need to look at it before buying it. Thank you in advance!

Old 12-22-2015, 09:57 AM

The 2011 is a good model to look at as it has the N18 engine and it doesn't have as many issues as the previous N14. Just look out for oil and coolant leaks. Ask if the HPFP has ever been replaced and same with the thermostat. Check out this thread here for some useful tips as well.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:06 PM

Pelican,

What year did the N18 come in and what is a HPFP?

Old 05-08-2017, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by jborchel
Pelican,

What year did the N18 come in and what is a HPFP?
Hello - MINI Cooper S 2011-2013 is equiped with the N18 engine. The HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) is used to deliver at a maximum pressure of 120 bar to the high pressure fuel injectors. More info on it can be found here: MINI Cooper R56 High Pressure Fuel Pump Replacement (2007-2011) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Hello - MINI Cooper S 2011-2013 is equiped with the N18 engine. The HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) is used to deliver at a maximum pressure of 120 bar to the high pressure fuel injectors. More info on it can be found here: MINI Cooper R56 High Pressure Fuel Pump Replacement (2007-2011) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article. Let me know if you have any other questions.
My budget of less than $10K is going to mean buying an N14 cabrio. I've read about problems with the N14:

1. Fuel pump
2. Warping head cover

What is the cost to repair these and are there any other typical problems? It seems that one of the key bad design elements was the use of plastic for some of these parts. Has the Mini industry come out with metal parts to replace these?

Old 05-15-2017, 10:42 AM

The N14 does have issues with the HPFP. You will want to call a local dealer and give them the vin of the MINI to see if it qualifies for the extended warranty or if it has already had its HPFP replaced under warranty. What year is the R57 you're looking at? If the HPFP goes and you aren't covered under warranty, this is what they cost right now: 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible - Fuel System - Page 2. They're not an inexpensive part at all. Back in 2015 they went up from $300 to $1200. Sometimes you can find used ones for a reasonable price. That is just the cost of the part and doesn't include labor. You can, however, replace it yourself with our tech article to save on labor (if it comes to that). The warping, I haven't heard of that being a common issue. I'd be more worried about the valve cover cracking/leaking, carbon build up and having to do a carbon cleaning every 50k miles or so, oil leaks like the turbo oil feed line leaking, and a few other small things. The carbon clean up can be done for about $300 at a MINI certified shop or you can do it yourself. We have a tech article for it. The valve cover cracks and can cause vacuum/oil leaks. MINI did release an updated cover so you can see if it has been done already on that R57. Yes, plastic is an issue as it gets brittle and cracks/breaks over time so you will have a few thermostat replacements. The water pipe that connects to the water pump and thermostat can crack as well so it's smart to replace that at the same time as the thermostat. You can see what thermostats cost, as they're relatively inexpensive and you can do the job yourself with our tech articles: 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible - Water Pump, Thermostat & Hoses - Page 1. I am not sure of a metal one on the market. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
The N14 does have issues with the HPFP. You will want to call a local dealer and give them the vin of the MINI to see if it qualifies for the extended warranty or if it has already had its HPFP replaced under warranty. What year is the R57 you're looking at? If the HPFP goes and you aren't covered under warranty, this is what they cost right now: 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible - Fuel System - Page 2. They're not an inexpensive part at all. Back in 2015 they went up from $300 to $1200. Sometimes you can find used ones for a reasonable price. That is just the cost of the part and doesn't include labor. You can, however, replace it yourself with our tech article to save on labor (if it comes to that). The warping, I haven't heard of that being a common issue. I'd be more worried about the valve cover cracking/leaking, carbon build up and having to do a carbon cleaning every 50k miles or so, oil leaks like the turbo oil feed line leaking, and a few other small things. The carbon clean up can be done for about $300 at a MINI certified shop or you can do it yourself. We have a tech article for it. The valve cover cracks and can cause vacuum/oil leaks. MINI did release an updated cover so you can see if it has been done already on that R57. Yes, plastic is an issue as it gets brittle and cracks/breaks over time so you will have a few thermostat replacements. The water pipe that connects to the water pump and thermostat can crack as well so it's smart to replace that at the same time as the thermostat. You can see what thermostats cost, as they're relatively inexpensive and you can do the job yourself with our tech articles: 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible - Water Pump, Thermostat & Hoses - Page 1. I am not sure of a metal one on the market. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks for the info. I've narrowed my search to two candidates; the Mini Cabrio and a Boxster, which I have previously owned. Probably the biggest issue I am concerned about is the exposure to big repairs. I know the Boxster's, the IMS bearing, and now know the Mini's. Looks like the Mini's potential $'s is a lot less than the Boxster. That being said, the Boxster is a 5-10% chance, the Mini's is definitely a lot higher, although much cheaper. $1,200-$2,000 is a lot less than $8,000-$10,000 if you don't catch the IMS before it blows the engine. $3,000 if you do it before it malfunctions.