07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket iPod conection kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Default aftermarket iPod conection kit?

Greetings and salutations, so on Friday I'm heading up to Jax and buying an '07S, there are a couple on the lot that meet my wants and I'm sure I'll finally be able to decide when i get there. None of the one's on the lot have the dealer option iPod connection installed yet, and I was wondering if having them install one would be worth the $300 plus installation, or if there isa less expensive aftermarket alternative that I could install later (i can be fairly handy when the situation calls for it, and there are explicit instructions.) I found a companycalled Peripheral Electronics which has akit that I thought would fill the bill, until Inoticed that the site says that it is only for up to the '06 model. Does anyone have experience with this product or can they point me in the right direction? I'm using an FM transmitter in my current vehicle which usually does okay, but I hate when I'm on a trip and find my tunes of choice being interrupted by some local talk station.
Thanks in advance,
Todd

Old 10-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Default RE: aftermarket iPod conection kit?

I've never owned an iPod, so bear with me. The mini has a port for a 3mm male headphone jack to plug in. So we bought a male-male wire and use that to plug into our Zen MP3 player. Could you do the same with your iPod? The headphone jack is standard on all the Minis I think. It's located near the cupholders in the front.

The male-male wire was like $5.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Default RE: aftermarket iPod conection kit?

Oops, I actually meant to delete the original post the other night. I got my Mini on Friday afternoon and whileI was discussing options the sales guy informed me thatI indeed did NOT want to pay to have a dedicated iPod connection installed when there was a perfectly good aux input jack in the dash. I had been unaware of that fact and am now happily motoring along with my iPod in it's FM transmitter which is now cabled to the aux input jack. As much time as I spent poring over the Mini site you think I would have noticed that feature before then, but not so much. I do appreciate the response though, and you're right, $5 does beat $300 plus installation.