07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major issues? Good/Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Default Major issues? Good/Bad?

Being new to the MINI I have began to read up on different aspects of the MINI. I would like to know if anyone has ran into "major" reliability issues. When I say "major" I mean issues that are related to engine part failure, transmission...etc..etc...
Small easily fixed issues are not a concern, my curiousity is related to anything major.
So far the only issue I know of aside from reading about the typical isolated cases is the cold start issue however, even that issue as far as what data suggests is not causing any damage instead, simply causing noise on start up.

Anyone care to write about reliability of the 07 R56 MINI Cooper S? I would like input from both aspects as far as good/bad experiences.

-Chris

Old 05-12-2008, 01:11 AM
Default RE: Major issues? Good/Bad?

I have a 2008 MCS-JCW. So far no problems here, and these 2008's supposedly have all of the problems worked out of the engines that were redesigned in 2007 I believe.

But here are all of the problems that I have read about for models previous to 2007 though.

The air intake was/is too low to the ground, so you can not be driving in 6 inches of water or your engine will start sucking in water and therefore will not work anymore.

Air conditioner would really bog down the engine when on.

You will go through clutches about every 30k miles ($2.4k) with current models? Not sure about this, but been reading it lately.

You need to rotate run flat tires at least every 15k miles, or you will wear them out completely within 30k miles.?

The hatch-back not wanting to open in cold weather, or having issues with the rubber seal while opening.

Auto windows not working, working intermittently, or going up then right back down when you press button.

Windshield wiper washer fluid leaking out of the spray jets on bonnet.

Transmission making funny clicking noises when going up hills/bumps too slowly.

I can not remember anymore right now.

Happy Motoring.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:27 PM

Thank you! Well, one thing I know is the intake on the 07/08 is at the top of the motor so the intake issue should be resolved. Also, I believe the A/C issue has been resolved with the R56 as well. I used my A/C and had no bog or issues.

Hopefully, the clutch and other issues were fixed for 07.

Thanks again for the info! good to see that most of the issues were relatively minor.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:09 PM

sorry to say but the clutch issues for the r56 have not been resolved for either the auto or manual. we replaced clutches in these cars frequnetly. the design is just horrible. as for the intake on the r50-r53 the air is sucked in above the radiator and behind the airbox near the fire wall so there is no worry about sucking in water and hydro locking your engine.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:45 PM

MINIofANNAPOLIS,
So what you are saying is that the new transmissions are as bad as the old ones? I read all kinds of horror stories about trannys giving out and costing $8k to repair/replace. Kinda scary. I am possibly in the market for a MCS automatic, but now I am not so sure.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Default Manual trans synchros gone

I own a 2007 Cooper with 45,000 miles, I've had it for a year when it had 26,000. It started grinding into 2nd gear only and just has gotten worse. I tried bleeding the slave cylinder, but didn't help. I finally took it into the dealer, they said the warranty expired 2 months ago. They said they will take care of 65% of the cost (7,000). It's at the shop as we speak, should be done by Wed. They say the clutch may need replacing, but won't cover that (340.00). We'll see if the cost changes. I'm trying to get included on a class-action lawsuit concerning transmissions. The reason I bought a Mini was for reliability, the more I search, the more dissapointed I get. I do love the cars, I've owned 1 other, but I drive alot and unfortunately,I don't think I can afford yearly expensive costs