07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium fuel a must?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Default Premium fuel a must?

Hello,

I just recently purchased a 2009 Mini Cooper S. I will be picking it up in a couple days (very excited). I heard that Minis require premium fuel. Is this true? I own a Lexus that says "Premium fuel only" on the manual, but the dealership says that is not true. Can you put Regular Unleaded fuel in Minis? FWIW, mine does NOT have a JCW package. Thanks!

-G.B.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by MiniGB
Hello,

I just recently purchased a 2009 Mini Cooper S. I will be picking it up in a couple days (very excited). I heard that Minis require premium fuel. Is this true? I own a Lexus that says "Premium fuel only" on the manual, but the dealership says that is not true. Can you put Regular Unleaded fuel in Minis? FWIW, mine does NOT have a JCW package. Thanks!

-G.B.
No, it's not needed. 89 is recommended, and 93 will give you no added benefits.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by CooperSTampa
No, it's not needed. 89 is recommended, and 93 will give you no added benefits.

Ok thanks! The reason I ask is because I've heard people say that if you don't use premium fuel, you mess up the fuel filter. Good to hear that you don't need premium.

-G.B.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

ABSOLUTELY WRONG!!!!
Read the Manual ... look at the gas cap !!!
I've talked to many service advisors , while you can run lower octane it will cause less power as the timing is retarded to prevent knock detonation ect.
It will also cause build up in the valves ect that can lead to mega pricey repairs.
If you can't afford the $2.00 extra a tank go buy a civic

Old 07-11-2010, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by bad venge
ABSOLUTELY WRONG!!!!
Read the Manual ... look at the gas cap !!!
I've talked to many service advisors , while you can run lower octane it will cause less power as the timing is retarded to prevent knock detonation ect.
It will also cause build up in the valves ect that can lead to mega pricey repairs.
If you can't afford the $2.00 extra a tank go buy a civic

So premium IS required? I keep hearing mixed things and I don't know what to believe. I don't wanna screw up the engine, but I'd like to save a buck too. If it's required, then I definately don't mind coughing up the extra 2 or 3 dollars for premium, but that adds up and I'd like to save if I can.

-G.B.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:46 PM

yes it is

You car engine employs forced induction which pushes in more air so that you can have more power when mixed with fuel and spark.

high compression and forced induction engines do require higher octane fuel for long-term viability. Octane measures the ease of detonation the higher the number the harder to make da boomba!

lower octane fuels when under high compression and or forced induction can prematurely go boom creating knock. BV is of course correct when your ECU sees significant knock it will retard timing to limit it and that will cost you power. run your car like that for years and you will coat the inside with gunk.

The opposite is also true run a car designed for 87 on 93 for long periods of time and you coat the insides with carbon waste money and screw yourself

from an energy stand point gas is gas neither 87 or 93 per unit volume provide any more or less power. The difference is the energy required to liberate the fuel energy!!! Your engine is designed for high compression forced induction 93 octane fuel.

use it Mkay?

Old 07-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Smile Premium fuel it is

Originally Posted by t-bone
yes it is

You car engine employs forced induction which pushes in more air so that you can have more power when mixed with fuel and spark.

high compression and forced induction engines do require higher octane fuel for long-term viability. Octane measures the ease of detonation the higher the number the harder to make da boomba!

lower octane fuels when under high compression and or forced induction can prematurely go boom creating knock. BV is of course correct when your ECU sees significant knock it will retard timing to limit it and that will cost you power. run your car like that for years and you will coat the inside with gunk.

The opposite is also true run a car designed for 87 on 93 for long periods of time and you coat the insides with carbon waste money and screw yourself

from an energy stand point gas is gas neither 87 or 93 per unit volume provide any more or less power. The difference is the energy required to liberate the fuel energy!!! Your engine is designed for high compression forced induction 93 octane fuel.

use it Mkay?

Thank you very much. This was very helpful. Premium it is!

-G.B.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:39 AM

89 is considered premium in some places, and that's what is recommended by MINI. I've driven 80K sports cars, and they recommened 93+, so that's what I used. You're wasting your money if you put higher than recommended fuel in your car.

And, to accurately answer your question, about is it "required," the answer is still NO.

You should receive better gas mileage (1-2mpg more) and better performance....but, "required" it is NOT.

I put Premium in, myself...because it's cheap and what's the point of a mini without the best possible gas mileage and the drivability (increase performance).

Sorry, if you would have said "desirable" instead, would have answered it differently.

enjoy the car! This is for my wife, but I'll drive it for groceries every once in awhile.

Last edited by CooperSTampa; 07-12-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

89 is MIDGRADE when it says premium only Premium =91+ READ the manual ...

Old 07-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Trust me USE the Premium .... This is from a friend Sam who Also happens to be a service manager at a dealer
Sam "The MINI's seem to be good cars & long lasting, but run hight test gas of good quality in your MINI. I've seen MINI's coming in carboned up. Some so bad that one of the valves do not close all the way. That leads to a burned valve. While your MINI will run on regular it's the regular fuel that leads to those carbon deposits."

I told Sam that I add a bottle of Chevron Techron at every oil change.

Sam "Techron is good stuff, but use a good quality high test fuel too. Shell, Marathon & even BP now have additives in them to keep the valves clean. Shell is the best"

There you have it. Some good advice from someone that I trust. I know some of you run regular to save a few cents on fuel. You do so at some risk it seems. You will never save enough money buying regular to pay for the potential damage it causes,

Motor on, with high test!

Quick Reply: Premium fuel a must?