2002-2006 Mini Cooper (R50)

front bumper fog lights (non grill) help

Old 10-11-2016, 06:01 AM
Default front bumper fog lights (non grill) help

Hi All,
This will be my first post (newbie), so please be kind and helpful

I have a Oct. 2004 built R50 cooper (facelift, Non S) and I'm trying to get the bumper fog lights working. My car didn't originally come with the fog light option, but at some point in the car's life its had a new bumper fitted which has the fog lights fitted already into it, and it would be a shame not to have them working, plus its a bug bear to me (sad engineer).

So I downloaded the retrofit guide, purchased a switch panel, acquired all the various plugs and relay from a breakers yard from a Mini which had fog lights. Last Friday I set about running all the wires, installing the correct size pins into each plug, soldiering the joints and heat shrinking over the joins. I'm a mechanical engineer so I have some clue on what I'm doing.... But...

After all the install was finished, turned the headlights on, in anticipation with flicking the front fog light switch and have an extra 2 lights working for the winter months coming up. But nothing... rechecked that I put all the pins in the correct plug and plug location, and I had. I ordered a new relay think as it was a breakers yard part maybe it could be suspect. I call my local Main dealer service department and asked if my car needed coding for the lights to work and they said NO. My new relay arrived last night and still no good.

I know the fog light bulbs work as I can put 12V down to them through the relay terminal and they both light up. The light at the end of the toggle switch doesn't light up.

So I'm throwing my issue out here with the view of getting some inspiration on how to resolve my issue. My be someone has also done this install. So please help.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MIN_Foglights_gen1.pdf (344.6 KB, 177 views)