2002-2006 Mini Cooper (R50)

Gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 02:33 AM
Default Gas

Has anyone tried to run regular gas in their non-turbocharged min? If so, what happened. Seems like it might be a problem with it's 10.x:1 compression ratio.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:58 AM
Default RE: Gas

Um, first off, the S is supercharged and it's actually MUCH pickier about gas than the Cooper due to the boost. Running regular won't really hurt anything because the computer will retard the timing to prevent detonation. This will KILL your performance and milage though. Not a good idea.

When I was driving across the country I was hung up in Iowa with only 89 for miles so I had to bite the bullet and get a couple gallons. My mileage for those couple gallons was significantly lower than the rest of the trip and power loss was noticable.

Old 10-21-2006, 03:42 AM

Shows how much I know about Minis!! I guess I should have figured that out by how they sound. Someone told me they were turbocharged, seemed reasonable to me, and I never questioned it. There a lots of Turbocharged engines around, but not many Supercharged ones that I know of. I guess they would have called them a Mini-T instead of a Mini-S if they had a Turbo, huh?

Old 10-21-2006, 03:45 AM

A technical question; Just how does the computer know the engine is detonating so it can retard timing? How do you sense detonation?

Old 10-21-2006, 04:56 PM

Knock sensor.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:30 PM

Hi,
New here, glad I did a search since amg already posted an answer on the topic-thanks amg. I do have another question that searching did not answer; regarding installing a K&N air filter in my '03 Cooper, would thatgive better mileage? Might that help the car run better on low test gas, or is low test or middle grade strictly out of the question?

Iget the best mileage when I ride my bicycle!
Thanks,
Tad

Old 06-14-2007, 08:24 PM

buy good gas,your mileage will decrees with low octane full,your engine
will ping,knock pre ignite not good.the money you will save on fuel you will lose on mileage.
Also possible engine damage.Buy a K&N and change your exaust to a less
restictive system.Dont over rev your engine,keep your tyres inflated to proper psi
and you will get good mpg.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:43 PM

My Thanks go out to you R.L. Dave,
I will continue to ride my bicycle to save on gas and feed my Mini only high test! Both are "keepers" IMO.
Cheers,
Another Dave

Old 07-22-2007, 05:38 PM

Just Got my mini and the dealership didnt have the owners manual so I hadta call another dealership n have 'em special order it. So here's my question which gas isthebest for me to use? I've been putting in premium just to be on the safe side.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:24 PM

Use premium. I have found out first hand that regular just doesn't cut it. Performance and economy suffer noticably. Octane boosters in regular don't seem to work as well as premium either. Mid grade works better, but still not as good as premium.

Quick Reply: Gas