2002-2006 Mini Cooper (R50)

Manual Transmission BLOWN - - - THE FIX!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 04:02 PM

Could anyone post any information about Class Action Lawsuit for faulty clutches in Minis. Mine is a 2007-S.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

I've heard that the mini lawyers pretty much shut it down pretty fast ///

Old 11-12-2009, 01:32 AM
Default Mini Cooper Transmission

Hello,
I have also had my transmission fail on me. I got my car from MINI Cooper Yaletown in Vancouver, British Columbia, brand new in 2004. It has 67,000 kms on it and has been well taken care of. I would also like to be in this civil action suit. I am also reporting this to my local news station to let everyone know about the situation.
I contacted MINI Yaletown and now I have contacted MINI Canada.
This is a huge problem.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:47 AM

Hey guys,

as a big mini fan im heart broken to read the stories about the transmission issues. i was browsing through another forum and the person of this email (no2@numba-tu.com) is getting a class action lawsuit going against the manufacturer.

heres my story,

In late september of 2009 i purchased a 2003 mini cooper with 26,500 miles. i thought i was getting a killer deal so i went on to purchase the mini. my transmission failed @ 29,400 miles and it was on 15 november 2009. it didnt give any kind of symptoms it all came at once. i was making a u turn and i was shifting into 2nd gear and there was no grip in gears. i just kept coasting till i coasted onto into a parking lot. i turned off the mini and then hit the clutch and turned it on. engine and all was working perfectly fine. now im going to see a mechanic tomorrow and im hoping for the best. im dearly heartbroken since ive been dreaming and saving up for a mini since i was in the military.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Default 2006 Min Cooper S Transmision blown at 20K

Wow, this is not what I expected when I searched this topic. I have a 2006 Cooper S with 20K miles out of warranty for 3 weeks. I brought this car in 3 weeks before the warranty was up and told the delership that the transmision had a tendancy to slip out of gear. They simply told me that "they could not replicate the problem" I should have realized that they were choosing their words carfully. 6 weeks later it would not go into gear at all, and I was told that when they drew some tranny fluid it was very dark and full of metal shards. The cost was $6K to replace (Ouch). I asked them why they did not check the fluid the prior month when it was under warranty and they said again that "they could not replicate the problem". I was very upset and told them that they needed to go to bat to have this replaced under warranty because I had asked them to look at it when the warranty was in place. He called me back a few hours later and said that mini was offering to provide the parts, if I paid for the labor at $1300. I am suspicious because this was to easy, but something tells me to take the offer. Then I look here and see that I am not alone. Any suggestions?

Old 03-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mini is VERY good about offering parts ect on your type of just out of warranty failures especially when the dealer looked at it weeks before... If it was me I'd take the offer and pay for the labor... If you'd like you could approach mini for reimbursement for the labor charges , but I'd be afraid they might not like that idea

Old 03-20-2010, 08:25 PM

I am possible looking at ordering a Cooper S this summer with the automatic transmission. Should I be worried or is it only with older minis?

Old 03-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

I've not heard near the complaints on the new ones got 5k on the wifes new clubbie

Old 04-20-2010, 07:55 PM
Default yes to a mini class action lawsuit

sign me up. 2003 mini, 40k miles, very well maintained. $8k to replace faulty engineered transmission. this is criminal. look at this website, we are far from alone:

http://newmini.wordpress.com/2008/01...sion-problems/

Old 05-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Thumbs down me too!

Just in the door from having the 6 speed manual transmission and flywheel replaced, under warranty, on my 2007 Mini Cooper S. 25,000km, I'm an experienced manual trans driver, car was parked in the winters, summer driven only.
I am worried that the replacement trans will blow up too. I wonder if they improved the transmissions at all, or just stuck another one of the same problem transmissions in??

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission BLOWN - - - THE FIX!!!