2002-2006 Mini Cooper (R50)

Rear Window Washer Not Spraying

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Question Rear Window Washer Not Spraying

I own a 2002 Mini Cooper with a rear window washer that does not spray the washer fluid. The dealer wants over $400 to replace the old one.
Question: Has anyone had this problem and, if so, how did you solve it?
Also, any trouble shooting tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-17-2009, 03:12 AM

I wish I knew. I'm having the same issue. The pump seems to be running but nothing is coming out of the nozzle.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

I've had mine clog solid , I used a piece of copper wire strand to get mine cleared out

Old 03-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Thumbs up rear windshield washer clog 2002

Hello All: I found a solution in another thread (which I cannot find just now)the other day on this forum. My 2002 lost all rear spritz. The posting recommended taking the plastic cap off the wiper arm (gently spread the sides to allow it to clear the detent stops holding it on) & pull slowly & firmly. Be careful not to lose the tiny rubber grommet which seals the space between inner nozzle and mouth of valve. Mine was kinda welded to the valve. Maybe put a light color paper or cloth below work area & watch carefully. As predicted, all sorts of rust, grit & whatnot was in the valve opening. Cleaned it very carefully with a small sharp object so as not to force anything back in. By the way, he/she also recommended activating the washer when you have cap off to verify clog at this site is the problem. Mine was a gusher. After carefully cleaning out the metal valve opening & the small rubber washer, I used a can of spray air (Dustoff or whatever) with the straw attached. Holding the wiper cap in one hand with one finger in the inboard opening, I placed the spray air nozzle on the outboard nozzle where the water comes out and gave it several good bursts to back out any blocks so as not to force grit further into nozzle. You can feel the cold air on your supporting fingers on inside when clear. Does away with need for tiny wire we hope. Assembled in reverse with grommet and I am wet again! The other poster really saved my bacon on this one and deserves all credit. I hope my canned air contribution works for you as well. It makes me perversely happy not to cough up $$ for a shop fix. Happy trails.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:49 AM

This being my first post, I might as well reveal that I'm dense as a brick without visuals......I ghost have a 2003 base mini and the same issue has started....as dumb as it sounds. ....are you accessing the valve from the interior of the hatch from the back side or from the exterior?
If from the exterior, I'm short circuiting on how to get it apart......please have mercy on the visually challenged!
Thanks!

Old 10-21-2013, 09:31 PM

Uuuuugh......never mind!!!
drink a Monster Zero and it all became clear!!! ;▶}