2002-2006 Mini Cooper S (R53)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member/owner

Old 08-27-2016, 03:06 AM
Default New member/owner

Hello to all!
Just picked up my first Mini today! It is a a blue '05 S convertible MT. It is a blast to drive.
Bought it from an auction, so there is no manual or customer support. As a result, I was hoping to get a few questions answered, and would appreciate any help you could provide.
1. The handbrake light stays on. The brake functions without problem, but the red light on the dash will not turn off.
2. What appears to be a yellow check engine light is on, which seems to be a result of the secondary tire pressure warning light which is also on. I noticed the tires were low, so I filled them to 39 lbs (the door panel states 38). However, the warning lights remains on.
3. Upon hard sudden acceleration, the car pulls a bit to the right. Is this simply torque steer inherent in a frnot wheel drive vehicle?
4. The car came with the radio, and a secondary unit uninstalled. I'm assuming the last owner had an upgraded unit, and removed it before trading it in. I need to have the radio installed, and wondered if anyone knew of a reputable shop in the Redondo Beach/Los Angeles area, that does this type of work.

Thank-you for taking the time to respond. I am happy to now be a Mini owner, and grateful for your assistance.
-Corey

Old 08-31-2016, 03:55 PM

Welcome to MINI Cooper Forums! Congratulations on the purchase of your R52! (That's the section that will be in relation to what MINI you now own).

1. Check your brake fluid level. When was the last time it was replaced? Is it low?
2. The check engine light (CEL) is unrelated to your tire pressure sensor symbol. Your tire pressure warning is on so if it did not adjust when you put the correct psi in, you may have a sensor that is not working properly. Or, the tires that you currently have on may not have the sensors in them. A tire shop should be able to determine if you have a faulty one or if you're missing any/all.
- For the CEL, I'd take it into a MINI indy shop from this site: Mini Cooper Repair Shops - Find a Mini Cooper Mechanic | MiniRepairShops.com and have them pull what code is stored and triggered your CEL.
3. Check the wear of your tires. Make sure you have even wear. I'd also be curious as to when the last time the alignment was done. Tire steer can be a result of a number of suspension issues.
4. Use the website I gave in #2 to find a local MINI indy shop in your area. They should be able to help with that as well.

If you ever need cheap online parts you can always order what you need from us. We are located in Harbor City. You can have the parts mailed to you or do a local pick up. You can find everything you'll need here: Pelican Parts - 2005 Mini Cooper S Convertible Parts and Accessories.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the info, and for taking the time to reply.
I will definitely check Pelican Parts for future needs.