General Mini Cooper Talk Anything non-technical, but relating to the Mini can be discussed here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini shopper looking for a daily driver.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 04:59 PM
Default Mini shopper looking for a daily driver.

As a first post I realize it's either a first timer that just purchased or one looking to purchase, I fall into the latter. When reading a board like this, you rarely find the people that have no issues at all as there would be very little to post. Then you start reading threads and on the surface it looks like the car is a piece of crap, but all boards are like that and let's face it, every car made isn't crap.

So that finally brings me to my point, who here daily drives there MINI about 400 miles per week and still likes it. I don't mind doing maintenance and most jobs myself, but would like to keep it a minimum. The 05 and 06 seem to have the fewest complaints and looks to be one of the better year(s). I am only looking for a manual so any auto troubles can be left out. One of FI engines would probably be more fun, but if it comes with another round of things to be concerned with the NA route may be better. I travel back country roads for most of my commute, so having something fun to drive is where I am at right now.

Last edited by Troublemaker; 07-28-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:49 PM

I don't drive 400 miles per week with my MINI. But I do sell them and know of people that do drive that much and more with them. They are not crap, although when something is wrong people tend to call anything crap. I see the good and the bad every day. Mostly good, but the occasional what the F***? lol German engineering is a tad more money than Asian manufacturing, but you get an entirely different vehicle. You get a fun fuel efficient vehicle. For someone who drives on country roads that are winding and turning, this is the car. My best memories with MINI were driving on Country roads.

Personally, I am a fan of the 2010's and later. They seem to be made more reliable with more BMW technology implemented into it. I feel BMW has helped MINI overall as a vehicle of choice. And they are certainly more reliable for it since the new Hardtops have the BMW made engines. You can find a good 2010 for around 12-15K. I'm no mechanic, so I don't know how much more complex the newer ones are vs the older models? Beats me.