General Mini Cooper Talk Anything non-technical, but relating to the Mini can be discussed here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing only front tires: Run flat recommended?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Default Replacing only front tires: Run flat recommended?

- My Mini: '09 MCScm, Dallas, TX
- Tire equipped: Bridgrestone Turanza, 195/55R 16 (Run flat), Summer

Guys,

I found out recently that all front tires excessively worn out unlike rear tires - based on thread, rear tires seem fair condition.

Besides finding out how it happened (I should have checked tire thread when I bought my Clumbman S a year ago), I'd like to ask following questions and appreciate your help:

#1. Should I replace only front 2 or all? (Like I said, rear tires seem very good condition)

#2. If only front 2 needed, do you recommend different brand/speed rating than current Turanza summer tires? (I live in Dallas where there's snow and ice)

#3. Do you recommend non-run flat tires?

#4. Do you recommend equip new all-season tires at rear and original Summer tires to front? (assuming I will remove current worn front tires.)

#5. Or new all-season at front and leave rear as-is?

#6. I plan to buy tires from tirerack.com as always. Will any tire shop allow me to replace only 2 tires?

#7. Will they allow me to replace current front tires with rear ones and equip new tires at rear?

Many thanks in advance!

Old 12-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nan2cool
- My Mini: '09 MCScm, Dallas, TX
- Tire equipped: Bridgrestone Turanza, 195/55R 16 (Run flat), Summer

Guys,

I found out recently that all front tires excessively worn out unlike rear tires - based on thread, rear tires seem fair condition.

Besides finding out how it happened (I should have checked tire thread when I bought my Clumbman S a year ago), I'd like to ask following questions and appreciate your help:

#1. Should I replace only front 2 or all? (Like I said, rear tires seem very good condition)

#2. If only front 2 needed, do you recommend different brand/speed rating than current Turanza summer tires? (I live in Dallas where there's snow and ice)

#3. Do you recommend non-run flat tires?

#4. Do you recommend equip new all-season tires at rear and original Summer tires to front? (assuming I will remove current worn front tires.)

#5. Or new all-season at front and leave rear as-is?

#6. I plan to buy tires from tirerack.com as always. Will any tire shop allow me to replace only 2 tires?

#7. Will they allow me to replace current front tires with rear ones and equip new tires at rear?

Many thanks in advance!
1 up to you , I'd recomend snow tires if you get much snow then a second set of tires for three season use

2 I run the continental for summer dunlop snows runflats for winter $120 from tire rack

3 I run normal tires on my cooper my wifes I keep on runflats with out a spare

4/5 no I'd put the all season/winters on the front

6 yes
7 yes

this might have been avoided with tire rotation I have 18k and tread looks like new straight and even I rotate every 3k

Old 10-09-2015, 08:45 PM

Why does mini not want rotation of tires on 2014 hardtop? To sell more tires or because TPS only detect on designated wheels as opposed to any sensor at location.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:31 PM

This is a 'continental' issue. North Americans are big on tyre rotation but European manufacturers don't recommend it - they say there is extra wear in a tyre adapting to its new position, so there will be less tyre wear if the tyres are left in the same position for their lifetime.
More info here.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:35 PM

An old inquiry to be sure, however anyone looking for new tires may want to forgo the run-flats.

I bought an 09 JCW Clubman in Feb, and the runflats were mercifully about worn out. They rode like a buckboard & handling was pretty rough. Discount Tires has a house branded non-run-flat built by Continental. It makes the 09 drive like new and handling is awesome. Unlike the Euro 'tyres', USA tires will last longer as a set of 4 if rotated about every 3500 miles for front wheel drive vehicles / 5k miles for rear wheel. With scheduled rotation and rebalancing, my goal in life has been to have all 4 tires wear out simultaneously - frequent rotation will do it.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:21 PM

I bought a 2016 Hardtop 4 door for my wife in June, after driven it a few times myself I loved it so much and traded in my BMW X3 for a 2016 Hardtop 4 S for myself, which comes with run flats.

I've read about people complaining about how rough the ride is with run flats, but actually I love it because they are so much quieter than conventional tires, even my wife noticed mine is so much quieter than hers and she wants to change to run flats when the time comes for replacement. I kind of agree with her that she should have run flats on hers since she doesn't know how to change tires and it'll be much safer for her to be able to drive to a tire shop when that happens and not being stranded by the road side.

I'm 63 and my wife is 60, this is the first run flats I've ever had and I can tell you they are quiet, almost no road noise at all but wind.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:08 AM

I think the rough ride was actually due to the suspension on the older Mini's. I drove several 2016's in the past few months & didn't know they had runflats until I asked.

As for winter vs summer tires, the only experience I've had was thru several winters in Munich. If you're taking in tires to be changed on a single set of rims, consider getting wheels for the other set of tires so that you don't have to annually mount & dismount the tires. It's much easier to jack up the car, pull off one set & install the other than to have to dismount & remount.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:15 PM

I think changing all tires would be better, just for a better feel in my opinion