General Mini Cooper Talk Anything non-technical, but relating to the Mini can be discussed here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for buying a MINI

Old 12-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Default Tips for buying a MINI

Greetings everyone!

I'm a 20 year old male who lives in the bowels of Oklahoma.. and ever since my first sighting of a MINI Cooper, I've wanted one.. This craving has been going on for about 2 years now.

There is a MINI dealer near Oklahoma City that I've visited and actually test drove a couple of the MINI's there.. one being a convertible with the supercharger, and a newer Hardtop with the twin-scroll turbocharger.. I like the idea of a convertible, but the Hardtop with its 6 speed agitronic (spelling?) transmission and paddle shifters and what seemed to me like ALOT more get up and haul *** attitude.. I fell in love with it.

I've never driven anything that felt so "at one" with the road.. the handling of this tiny little car was absolutely incredible, and the acceleration left me breathless LOL. I had trouble handing the flying saucer lookin' key back to the dealer.

now a few questions-

Is it better to buy new or used?

I'm only 20.. and I don't really have a co-signer with credit thats anywhere near worth mentioning, I myself have 0 credit even after paying off a car of my own [>:]

I'm looking to keep my previous car, but still have a MINI- I doubt I'd get much of a trade-in anyways. It was my first car.. so sentimental value is still there.

After speaking with the MINI dealer, a new MINI Cooper S would require a down payment of ten thousand dollars.. something I don't have.

I'm not sure how to go along with the MINI Select Program or anything special like that which they have to offer. Like I said, I don't really have a co-signer.

I don't really want to buy used, because I dont want any mysterious problems occuring, I'd rather purchase new, but hell.. I'd buy used if that's what it came down to.

I'm going to be saving for a while in hopes of getting me one of these machines!

Old 12-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Default RE: Tips for buying a MINI

Bowels of Oklahoma??? LOL. Can't help wondering what part of the state that is.
With the high resale value of Mini's I would always recommend that it is a better value to buy a new one. That doesn't mean you should buy a new one though.

I would caution you to being sure that you buy a car that matches your financial position. I fully understand someone having a craving for a Mini, but that alone doesn't justify the expense of a major purchase like this. The "newness" wears off any car after several months, and that thrill tends to diminish considerably, particularly if the high payments get in the way of going after the next material item that you develop a craving for. IMHO, if you ain't got 10g for a down payment, you should just keep on craving a new one until you do, or aim for a used one with much, much lower purchase price (if you can find one).

Good luck

Old 12-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Default RE: Tips for buying a MINI

ooh, nice response. the thing about buying used.. is you dont know 100% what is wrong with the car, or how it was previously treated.

plus i've always wanted a new car lol. I need to talk to the dealership more about how much payments would be and such, if I DID come up with 10,000 as a down payment.