General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CO2 sensor issues: Do I fix myself?

Old 04-03-2017, 07:26 PM
Default CO2 sensor issues: Do I fix myself?

Hi, I've had this issue for quite awhile but have been delaying fixing it due to money. Now I'm considering doing the work on my own while my wife and I have another car on loan through Sat.

AFAIK, the only issue with the sensors in the past has been the "Check Engine" light, but now there's been some drivability issues that will require attention once my wife can no longer stand it (me? I'm more of a masochist....).

The initial problems began with bogging while at high RPMs, so turning into high-speed traffic has been quite difficult. Lately, on occasion (also at higher RPMs, I believe), something's happened where it almost sounds like the engine is running on 3 cylinders, so it sounds like a 2-stroke and acceleration has been pretty much nil, although maintaining a speed has been alright (never mind the fact I try to restart the engine whenever I can, even while coasting on the street, which ain't too smart). FWIW, when the engine gets in this mood, the instant MPG indicator is at 99.9 no matter how the gas pedal is being pressed.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the idea to try to fix it myself till now, so my time is limited till we have to return the car owned by vacationing friends. So my questions are:

1. Is it doable in an apartment parking lot?
2. Is it doable to someone who's not mechanically inclined but has an idea about cars? (never was adept at tuning my Olds)
3. What kind of tools would I need? I'll go to Harbor Freight for them.
4. I tried looking for sensors on Amazon (shipping is quick and, sometimes, free), but I didn't find anything there unless I didn't look properly. Hence, I'll be forced to find something locally because it will be quick . . . and possibly expensive.

Anyway, any insight from those more experienced than me would be appreciated . . . thank you!