General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

coolant loss mini cooper 2006

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Exclamation coolant loss mini cooper 2006

Hi, im new to this forum so if I make amature mistakes please go easy on me I bought a used 2006 mini cooper hardtop about 5 months ago, 35000 miles. I have a very long commute to work... 66 miles one way so I have quickly racked up another 8000....No problems until now except for a unplugged clutch switch that simply needed to be plugged back in. Yesterday, I came home for work and when I parked the fan kept running. Turned the car back on to double check if it was hot and it was not, but It was a warm day so I figured it was fine. Drove my 66 miles the next morning and didnt notice anything wrong but dont recall looking at the temp gage, but no lights went on. Got to work and about 20 minutes later left to post office about 5 miles away. When I parked noticed the fan stayed on (fairly cool morning) Curious and figured I would google it when I got back to work...driving back to work and notice the gage is ALL THE WAY UP Im walking distance to office now so I slow down and pull in and park....Freaking out! park, pop the hood. Radiator spray near hose but no obvious tear in hose....check coolant.....BONE DRY! Fairly new FINANCED car so Im near tears at this point (im of the fairer sex so its ok to cry right?) I have an extended warranty but not sure it will be covered if I burned my motor....I left it parked there and not going to touch it until I can get some coolant in it. Have an appointment at the shop for wednesday....Questions are as follows: 1) Do you think its too late and I already fried the engine? 2) should I get it towed or can I put coolant in it and drive it (slowly and carefully) to the shop 10 minutes away?

Old 06-18-2011, 11:57 AM

PS - I just got an oil change a week ago

Old 09-18-2011, 08:54 AM

Hi. Did you figure this out? Im having the exact same issue.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:06 PM

Have them check your thermostat i had a similar problem and there was a leak in the plastic thermostat housing unit. i think your engine should be okay.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

also check the coolant tank , those are prone to cracking

Old 10-04-2011, 04:42 PM

dont let it overheat and keep it full with coolant until fixed. those mini are notorius for leaking from the thermostat housing, (they are also prone to leak from the pass side bottom of radiator, and water pump as well but..) and by default it will keep the cooling fan running to cpmpensate for the overheating due to no coolant. even with the car off. if the fan continues to run after the leak is fixed minis are also known to have the stage 1 cooling fan short out, which will cause the fan to run on high only, and you will notice that noise, they are pretty loud.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:00 PM

I have replaced a lot of thermostat housings.Look at the right side of engine there is the thermostat on the top, you my see may see so dry blue coolant or green coolant on the top of housing. Any fluid leaks on the ground. 1)The engines are very reliable even in low coolant.2)If you top off coolant and only live 10mins away you should be fine,but if you have AAA have them tow to safe. Hope this helps.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:38 PM

I have the same issue as AllieJ. I am "Freaking out!" But of coarse my wife is out of town with the car, so I have been dealing with her over the phone..The only other simptim is she mentioned was the heat was not working all the time. .what is realy messing with my head is, she has tried filling the overflow tank (she looked at the manual to make sure she has the right tank) & it will not drain the coolant into the system..? What would this mean...? I thinking the plastic thermostate housing is hopefuly the issue of were the coolant went in the first place.