General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dead battery caused by key fob?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Default Dead battery caused by key fob?

I have an '07 Mini, 31 K miles, keyless entry and start. I had parked, gone inside for a few minutes than back out and my battery was completely dead.

I took it to the dealer to be checked out and I was told that the dead battery was caused by the key fob not being charged, and that I need to insert the key fob every so often to keep it charged. Normally I keep the key in my purse and don't insert the key fob.

Now the dealer told me that the key fob is not covered by either the maintenance plan or warranty, so I will have to pay $56 since the technician had to check out my battery and key fob.

It seems to me either the maintenance plan or the warranty should cover this. I realize that the dollar amount is small, but I don't like to be taken advantage of, and as a female I have had it happen before.

Also, I would like to know how often I need to insert the fob when starting the car so that my battery doesn't die again. I really like the keyless start feature, which is why I paid extra for it to begin with.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

You are the second I heard have the same trouble and being charged the hockey puck need inserted to charge the battery inside the unit