General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Retired Red Bull Mini - Pickup truck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Default Retired Red Bull Mini - Pickup truck?

Hello MiniCooperForum!

I have a 2005 Red Bull Mini Cooper, (non-S, can and graphics removed) and I have removed the cooler so that I can make the back into a pickup bed.

I saw the way that the Convertable tailgate opens, so I would like to use one. I have even located one in my area. The problem is, I don't know if they can be interchanged easily, or if I'm looking at a lot of fab work.

What would it take to put a Convertable tailgate onto a former hatchback with the roof cut off?

I KNOW I'm going to need the tailgate itself, the hinges, interior panels, and maybe a few trim peices from the interior of the convertable, but I'm not sure what else.
Is the rear bumper special? It looks like (From the few pics I've seen on the net) that it has indents for the hinges to rest. Is that the case?

Anything else I might be missing?

Thank you.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:53 PM

Would you be interested in selling the former red bull mini?

Old 06-07-2010, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by mpsmini
Would you be interested in selling the former red bull mini?
Anything is for sale at the right price.

The build is underway at the moment without a tailgate. I couldn't find any info, and there are no salvage yards close enough to look at, so there will be no tailgate.

Wood and foam are in place, fiberglass is going in tomorrow. This will probably be done in July or so. It's a side-job at the body shop, mainly to stave off boredom during the slow times, so progress is slow.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:50 AM

I have an 06 redbull trk that i purdhased a month ago. I would post a pic , but can't seem to get it done here. mine has a tailgate with no latch on it. so it is secured with turnbuckles .

Old 07-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

When they built the mini's I believe they cut the glass off the hatch then used the bottom as a door

Old 07-03-2010, 06:49 PM

i'm making this post to see if my truck avitar comes up for u to see., Well I guess it didn't.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:41 AM

I've been interested in aquiring a retired Red Bull MINI for some time. I've contacted Red Bull to see how and when that might be possible and have not gotten any reply. Can you guys let me know how you were able to find yours.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:31 AM

They were simply at an auction near Lansing Michigan. There were 3 of them, 2 2004s and one 2005.

The bottom of the original hatch on our was held in place by a single sheet metal screw. The top held in by the fiberglass cooler's top. The tailgate as it was, was completely non functional, mainly kept there to cover the hole and keep "some" of the Mini's styling in tact.

The project is going slower than I thought, and we're running out of July to work with. I'd guess August, but at this rate September is more likely.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:12 AM

Mine was purchased at an auction also. It had a tree fall on it and need repaired. a local dealer bought it as it was to be sold as salvage , but was not. Red Bull contacted him and told him to remove all RebBull items or face legal actions. I purchased it and I am gathering up the stuff to finish it. Just minor stuff . I was also told the rest of the 06's were destroyed, But I find that hard to believe. Good luck with finding 1. There is a picture of my truck in my profile.

Last edited by gasser; 07-27-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:38 AM

Had to register so I could reply.
Snooter, I have one. Feel free to email me at bluert_98 at hotmail dot com.
Picked it up to be a car show/beach car, seemed like a lot of fun with the cooler built in.

Quick Reply: Retired Red Bull Mini - Pickup truck?