General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

tell me your mini issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 10:58 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by GreenHornet03
My driver side window has stopped working. I can hear it trying to work but it does not go up or down when the switch is moved.
I read from somewhere that if you give a knock on the spot above the door speaker it will work temporary.
I have later change the window assembly.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:35 AM

Hi we were lucky enough to take an 07 mini convertible cross country and back several years ago. The car is still in the family and now won't shift. I can shift the car manually. It is the base model 07 convertible auto. I think it is a sensor any help would be great no one seems to know from the local mech. to my good mech friend.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by dschmale
Hello guys and gals. I’m a BMW technician but am moving to a newly constructed mini dealer in the next two months. They haven’t yet completed the service facility so here I wait.

I was wondering what issues you all have had relating to your vehicles through the course of your ownership? I want to be particularly sharp on the mini as it will be the only car I repair for years to come so please, let me have it… all of it. Relay stories or simple, “x happened at y miles, dealer performed z and it did/did not fix the problem.” Any complaints about issues that have been resolved on the forum here? Any general gripes? Any suggestions where to look for a “database” of technical issues. I will have access to the tech database when our dealer code clears in a few weeks but honestly, nothing is as worthwhile as the experiences of owners and enthusiasts.

As soon as I am up and running at the new dealer, I will be happy to field questions regarding your vehicles. PM me, post here, let me hear all that has gone wrong with your vehicle, what repairs were attempted, any other info you feel pertinent. Mods, I am not not out for anything but info. I may post this elsewhere with your blessing. Thanks.

-DOUG

BMW master; ASE master automotive technician.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:51 PM

I am looking at buying a 2003 Cooper that is in very solid shape, but it is very rough and hesitant starting in first and second gear. The service engine light is on, and the code is for the pre-cat O2 sensor to be replaced. In Mini's is it more likely that the engine fouled the O2 sensor or that the O2 sensor went bad and is causing the rough running? Thanks all.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:17 AM
Default Harmon Kardon amp

I have a 2003 mini cooper and the speakers are not working. I have read several post and think it is the amp or fuses. My question is does the amp itself have a fuse? The speakers just quit all of a sudden. I checked the fuses under the dash they are good. Appreciate any help. the amp is a HS 3897 has also R50 on it.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:33 PM

I have a 2003 R53 and about a month ago I started it up and the check engine light came up and the car lost power and was sputtering (SES light came on and the ASC permanently went on). When I revved it, I would get the power back and it was fine. I started giving the car gas while I started it and that seemed to fix it for a while. It would not start in limp mode anymore and the SES light actually went off. Then, one night while I was driving the car suddenly went into limp mode with no warning. I sputtered home and changed the plugs and wires. It started right up and ran great. About a week later the whole limp mode issue came back. I tried to give it gas at startup but that did not work either. I tried changing the coil but that did nothing. As of today, it is hit or miss. Sometimes the car starts right up. Sometimes it starts in limp mode and when rev the engine normal power is restored. And sometimes it stays in limp mode. When this happens I shut the car off, let it sit, then start it up again and it usually works. Is this a fuel pump or fuel filter issue?

Old 09-30-2015, 08:53 AM

I have one for you and I'm not sure if it's been covered yet. Just purchased a 2010 (10/2009) cooper S and i replaced the stock Headlight bulbs (H13) with LEDs. Every time i start the car i get this strobe like effect from both headlights for a few seconds and then it goes away. The dash display is also showing High/low beam error. I am guessing but the ECU is complaining about the different amps consumed by the LED.

Is it possible to eliminate the flickering and clearing the code from the dash using the console or do i have to look for another solution?

Old 10-01-2015, 11:12 PM

OK here we go. I did an engine change for a freind on an 03 Mini with a 1.6 with a 5 speed. The engine runs great but the transmission acts like it isn't connected to the differencial, it grinds when you let clutch out but won't move. I checked the axles and they are in all the way. with car raised can hold both front wheels while car is running and in gear. I hope you have an ideal cause I'm lost. I drove the car in my garage with old engine and the tranny was fine, now it don't move. any clues? I sure will appreciate it.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by dschmale
Hello guys and gals. I’m a BMW technician but am moving to a newly constructed mini dealer in the next two months. They haven’t yet completed the service facility so here I wait.

I was wondering what issues you all have had relating to your vehicles through the course of your ownership? I want to be particularly sharp on the mini as it will be the only car I repair for years to come so please, let me have it… all of it. Relay stories or simple, “x happened at y miles, dealer performed z and it did/did not fix the problem.” Any complaints about issues that have been resolved on the forum here? Any general gripes? Any suggestions where to look for a “database” of technical issues. I will have access to the tech database when our dealer code clears in a few weeks but honestly, nothing is as worthwhile as the experiences of owners and enthusiasts.

As soon as I am up and running at the new dealer, I will be happy to field questions regarding your vehicles. PM me, post here, let me hear all that has gone wrong with your vehicle, what repairs were attempted, any other info you feel pertinent. Mods, I am not not out for anything but info. I may post this elsewhere with your blessing. Thanks.

-DOUG

BMW master; ASE master automotive technician.
Hello. I have a 2012 Mini Cooper Clubman. 6 speed, 4 cylinder. 75k miles on it. The past few days I've experienced some idling issues. Usually when in a frontward inclined position. The engine will completely shut off. It will starts right back up however. In either situation when in idle the engine seems to be weak and hiccuping. There are no indicators illuminating.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:17 AM

Is the oil level Max?

Old 12-18-2015, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Joseph James Mohn
Hello. I have a 2012 Mini Cooper Clubman. 6 speed, 4 cylinder. 75k miles on it. The past few days I've experienced some idling issues. Usually when in a frontward inclined position. The engine will completely shut off. It will starts right back up however. In either situation when in idle the engine seems to be weak and hiccuping. There are no indicators illuminating.
Just because there is no CEL doesn't mean there may not be any codes present in the system. I'd still plug into your OBDII port and see if any codes are present. I'm thinking maybe a fueling issue here. Could be wrong, but have you ever replaced the fuel filter?

Quick Reply: tell me your mini issues