MCF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with MCF? Ask! Have a suggestion to better MCF? Tell us here.

mini 07 losing/burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 02:35 PM
Default mini 07 losing/burning oil

My 07 cooper has come back from the dealership today for the second time in two months with the same problem. Between 27180 and 28319 miles its consumed 2 litres of oil, and the oil warning light comes on when driving round corners. Since new, 4 years ago, I have repeatedly mentioned to the service team my concern at the amount of oil the car has consumed. Now its extremely noticeable as described above. They have suggested i contact customer services, to notify them that something is wrong. The car is now out of warranty but I am fairly devastated as i feel I am driving round in a dud....which i cant afford to replace or put right. Is it down to me or should BMW help me out?As a good will gesture at least?

Old 05-31-2011, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

There is a figure that mini considers "excessive" oil use, have you had it in for this complaint while in warranty ? If you did you might have a chance to get a good will repair

Old 05-31-2011, 11:36 PM
Default oh dear

In reply, when I first had the car, I remember at its first and subsequent services complaining about how much oil I was using but they dismissed it being a problem. I'm a girl and didnt think to push it any further, but once I took it in complaining of the car sounding very noisy (tappit sounds) and they found despite no oil warning light it had very little oil in it. They just filled it up and sent me on my way, telling me what a silly girl i was for not regularly checking the oil (I have never regularly checked the oil on any car I have previously owned, and I'm 49 so have had a good few cars, all VW and reliable from service to service). I doubt it has been registered as a "problem". They say its not leaking significantly, although there is evidence of "wetness" (this confuses me, how can they be sure its not leaking when I'm driving?) and that its "consuming" the oil. They say a weight test is needed, which I have to pay for, if its over the limit then the engine needs stripping down. Which may or may not be done for free. I cant afford this, and to be honest when i bought my mini, I got it expecting years of trouble free motoring. i have never owned a car from new before and am frankly feeling such a fool for buying a mini, it was out of my budget league from the beginning. What should I do to help myself now??