New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Howdy; New Clubman Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 10:51 AM
Default Howdy; New Clubman Questions

As the title implies, Howdy, fresh meat for the taking here.

I've always looked at Minis and thought, "I want to drive one of those, but not own one....." until I saw the new Clubman. Now I'm wanting one. I'm wanting one bad....really, really bad. I think you get the message now.

Of course, like others here, I'm doing my homework and have some reservations.

Concerning the 2017 Clubman S, is the 2.0 turbo part of the N18 family? Or is this a completely new animal, with a whole generation of new bugs that need to be worked out? I've always respected BMW, but not so much since engineering now takes a backseat to over-globalization and "cheap tech gimmicks" for the badge-hungry North American market. Since the new Clubman is so much heavier than traditional Minis and I would want the All 4, it seems logical to have the bigger engine in the S. But is this motor "too new?"

Realizing there isn't enough data available for the newest Clubmans (or Clubmen?) I'm hoping the loyalists are in-the-know with what Mini are up to, as well as their past trends and ability to have a general idea of what to expect out of the 17's.

Other concerns are expected "durability?" From Mini' s marketing, we're led to believe the material and build quality of (specifically) the Clubman is higher than the "Normal" Mini models. Any truth to this? I understand smaller Minis rattle after some time, but is there any different history/trends suggesting Clubmen are better? My roads in Louisiana are awful.

Any experience with the "Dynamic Dampening Control" option? Trouble prone or dependable? Once again marketing implies the Clubman to be a smoother ride and I need that due to a chronic back issue. My first back surgery was 14 years ago and I'm trying my best to avoid number two - at all costs! I know new cars always feel great, but after a couple years a sportier suspension can make you want to put a gun to your head after a twenty minute drive. I'm getting irritable at 50.

Of course, we know I need to go test drive them. However, being 150 miles from the nearest Mini dealer requires me to gather info first. I'm not entirely new at that game. I own a VW and I regularly needed to drive 120 miles for its welfare. We just don't have cool cars where I'm at. It's all the "Big-3," with Toyota and Nissan within 50 miles. I doubt I can even find 1 manual transmission on any dealer's lot here, and that's a requirement for me. I must stir my own!! We have Hondas, BMW, and Mercedes Benz about 60 miles away, but they aren't the same any more... too much emphasis on tech toys for the Badge People and no longer nice. Even VW is an empty shell of its former self: cold, sterile, boring, cheap plastics, EPA compliant in 50 states, automatic, Puebla factory built rattles...Hurray for globalization!!

Anyway, here's what I'm currently dealing with: 2006 VW GLI (Jetta version of the GTI) The 2006 was the first model year for that (MK IV?) generation with the 2.0T FSI, and I just had to have it. If I only knew.... it's left me stranded more than a few times. I always tell people that if they buy a German car, especially a VW, make sure you buy one actually made in Germany. But I think American mechanics also play a role too. At three years old, I started disliking it, but still loved it at the same time. At 11 now (built in Jul 05) I wish I never saw it, but have not been in a position to replace it, but necessity soon requires it. I just want to make sure I'm not jumping into the same fire but with a different brand. I know any car can be trash at 11 years old, but it was on my bad side at 5.

So, what says the Mini experts? What do you think I can expect from the 2017 Clubman S?