New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major Service Due - Worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Default Major Service Due - Worth it??

My 2006 Cooper S has 63K miles on it.
My milage dropped way off past 3 months from 28ish mpg to 24ish mpg.
Called dealer - he wants to due a major tune-up 'system-1' costing $1,000.00 to start plus whatever else they find.
Has any one had this major tune-up? Worth it?
Should I go to private mechanic for full tune-up with wires, plugs, gaskets, filters changed??
Any one thoughts would help.
Thanx.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Default RE: Major Service Due - Worth it??

That sure sounds like a lot of money to me for a "start" at a tune up. There is definately something the matter with your Mini, though. I would at least talk to some private mechanics before commiting to going to the dealer and find out if they are equipped to diognose a Mini. What do you have to lose? I am curious how all this turns out for you.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:04 PM

63,000 miles on a 2006[sm=insomnia.gif]

Have you had all the previous services done? If you have skip this one and do oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, plugs and whatever else you want. If you haven't had the 35,000 miles service done then I would suggest letting them do it.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:52 PM

For Your Informatiom and Update.
I changed the oil and filter myself. I installed new Denso Iridium plugs (colder/.032 gap) and upgraded to 1200d plug wires. Changed the air filter which was a mess. Changed the cabin filter which was a mess. Changed the rear wiper which was worn out. Added 1 qt of Lucas synth oil treatment. Added Lucas synth gas treatment tune-up. . . . . . .AND POOFFFF back to my 29 mpg avg AANNDD the car really really purrs/smooth.
My Cost $295.00 and three hours.
I will be upgrading disc rotors (vented) and will use EBC yellows next month or two when brakes are due.
Good luck.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:08 PM

Great work!!!!!! Change that air filter every 15K or sooner!!!!! it really helps......
I love it when someone saves 700 $$$$

Old 01-15-2008, 05:10 PM

PS Dose your 2006 MCS have a timing belt or chain?

Old 01-15-2008, 10:21 PM

Chain.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:57 AM

I;m new to this board, thinking deeply about purchasing a MCS. I was wondering what is this Chain/belt i have been reading about? What is the difference and what is the pros and cons about this? Thanks

Old 01-23-2008, 09:27 PM

A timing belt gives you better flexibilty in 'fine' tuning your camshaft. My mechanic says he can play with it to adjust performance.
A chain can take a heavier torque change without braking and forego the possibilty of blowing a cylinder head when that happens.
Chain needs to be check/replaced around 100K. Belts much longer.
99.95% people never seek to tune/adjust the cam and leave it alone.
If the MCS has around 100K miles then factor in the cost of replacing chain - by calling dealer or your mechanic who would be cheaper.

The MCS is a fun car. Like alot of german cars - it should be pampered ($$$$).

Good luck

Old 01-24-2008, 12:03 AM

A couple of minor comments/ questions. I always thought the Mini was a British car, not German. It is owned by a German company, but made in Britain.
Also,I always thought a timing belt would wear out in 60 to100K while a chain would last indefinately.

Quick Reply: Major Service Due - Worth it??