General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Manual Cooper won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Default Manual Cooper won't turn over

I killed the engine taking off from a stop. When I tried to restart the car, nothing. The car did not jerk or stutter. I simply let the clutch out before I gave it enough gas.

When I turn the key, everything acts as normal besides that the engine will not turn over. I can here the relay switch when I push the clutch pedal down and release it. I can also hear the relay switch when I rock the key back and forth slowly in the starting position.

I've looked underneath and the electrical plug is intact for what I assume is the switch for the clutch. I am fairly confident it is not that, though since I can hear the clicking of the relay.

I'm stumped!! I just put a new clutch and flywheel in and am not very interested at sticking more money into it right now since it is more of a joy ride than a necessity vehicle, besides the fact I'm next to broke now. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 05-05-2010, 11:08 AM

I had the same thing happen 2 days ago. I had just driven my 07 mini S 600 miles for service and then only got 500 miles back when it just refused to try to start. All lights and equipment works so it is behaving like I forgot to put the clutch to the floor.........checked with the service guys in Seattle and they had no clue without the car in front of them. But they just had another car in for service that wouldn't start when the owner came to pick it up. I will let you know if they figure anything out. Anyone else have any ideas??????????

Old 05-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Any Alarm system?

Old 05-05-2010, 06:13 PM

Yes it has the anti theft alarm and comfort access system
I drove 500 miles after it was serviced and without any problems. It only has 20k miles on it. After my last fuel stop the cruise control stopped working. The lights came on but it wouldn't take. I tried new batteries in the remote. It is a manual so it will start if I roll start it and then seems to run fine until I shut it off again. I have gone 30 miles to get it home with out the battery conking out either.
After the first failed start the engine malfunction light came on in the center display but went off once I push started it. Initially when it wouldn't start there were no other lights on but as I drove it home the yellow light that says brake and the yellow symbol for worn brake pads and the yellow symbol for suspension control failed came on and remain on although the engine malfunction symbol seems to be off now.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:14 PM

@ freightliner.. I've read on 2 other forums that the 07's have the clutch contact switch underneath the dash held up with a tie strap. Maybe that's your issue?! My '06 does not have that.

I am reluctantly taking mine in tonight so will post my issue when they figure it out.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Default Mini Freightliner won't purr

I will check that out tomorrow. Thanks. I hope luck is with you and they figure yours out. I am 600 miles away so would of course prefer something simple! lol

Old 05-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Default Whoopee she purrs but

Whoopee she runs once the dangling clutch relay was replaced in its supposedly snap in position! I don't know why the Service guys didn't mention that problem when I mentioned how it acted and suggested that.
Now the bunch of service lights are still on so hopefully if I drive it a bit they will go off.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:45 AM

Mini JJ.......any luck on your 06?

Old 05-08-2010, 08:28 AM

I think you dangleing clutch may have been what I described in the other thread I read, but since my 06 is a little different I'm not sure.

I got mine back last night. Mine was rather simple as well. When I got my clutch replaced, apparently the service techs did not tighten down the starter and the connection ended up coming loose. I had tried to find the starter before I took it in, but with everything so crammed and my suspension is dropped more than the already ground hugging Coopers I could not find it.

I hope you get home safe. I can relate as my clutch went on us 2000 miles from home at the top of the Grand Canyon after we watched the sunset. Fortunately, we were able to coast 23 miles to the hotel!! A $360 tow, 3 days and $2600 later we were on our way home. I'm glad the starter waited til we were home. Good luck to you!

Old 03-24-2020, 01:44 PM
Default Not starting

2011 Mini Cooper JCW 6 speed manual, clutch went out sat for while and battery ended up dying while connected now car has had new clutch, flywheel, clutch fork, throw out bearing and new battery. All sensors and connections have been checked. When you put fob into its slot it turns on everything and chimes like it should but when hold to start everything just shuts down and nothing happens. What’s my issue? CAS? Or possible anti theft? Battery resets have been done already.

Quick Reply: Manual Cooper won't turn over