Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56) (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/07-up-mini-cooper-cooper-s-r56-31/)
-   -   Auto A/C...is it worth it on an 08 mini? (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/07-up-mini-cooper-cooper-s-r56-31/auto-c-worth-08-mini-762/)

hansachtmann 12-28-2007 12:22 PM

Auto A/C...is it worth it on an 08 mini?

I have placed an order for an 08 mini cooper. (Not an S) I am really looking into just a daily commuter car so MPG is very important to me. I am very tempted to go with the S but every mile counts when you have a 100 miles daily commute. So I have not even test driven the S just so I wouldnt fall in love with it. This is my first MINI so if you have any suggustions please feel free to chime in.

My 08 mini is has the following specs...

-Cooper
-Chili Red/Black Top
-Black Bonnet Stripes
-Gray/Carbon Black Leatherette
-Convenience Package
-DSC
-15" Rotator Spoke
-Anti Theft Alarm System
-Sport Seats
-Foglights
-Xenon Headlamps
-HD Radio
-MINI HiFi Sound System
-White Turn Signals

cougsfan 12-31-2007 01:26 AM

RE: Auto A/C...is it worth it on an 08 mini?

Congratulations on ordering your new Mini. Sounds like a nice rig.I am sure you will love it. About the only thing I would suggest additional, and that depends on where you live, is a cold weather package. Nothing like heated seats in the winter time!
Having driven both a Mini and Mini S, I can tell you the substantial batch of extra power that the S has is really a nice feature I wouldn't mind having available every now and then. I too selected the standard Mini as mine is also basically a commuter car, which makesmilage a item of economic interest. Ifind myself questioning how much of a difference that economy is in reality.
I am sure that if you are on the gas all the time, the difference between the two is appreciable.I have heard people say that they weregetting around 40 mpg with their new S's though,as long asthey keep their foot out of it. That is about as good as I can getwith my '06 standard.By the way,myMini's milagedrops toaround 30 mpg on the few times I let my 22 year old son drive my car (Tells me a lot about how he drives the old man's car! Also says why he has drivenitjust a few times).
I also have to confess that the one time I reset and checked the fuel conservation when I drove an S (I know the computer isn't that accurate), it registered 28 mpg, but I was on the gas a lot,... just checking out the hp. (And I complain about my kid!)
Anybody tried to drive an S with gas milage in mind? What do you get?

Adam 01-01-2008 08:16 PM

The most I can get is 25mpg in my MCS when I'm being gental.

Ok for the original poster:

skip the DSC - you won't need in the Cooper, not enough power to ever set it off.
skip the fogs - you'll never use them, they're pretty worthless
skip the alarm - they're pretty much impossible to steal

Everything else looks right on the money but, I would take the savings of the above items and get yourself a moonroof!

Oh and PS. they don't come with cruse control standard, with a 100 mile commute you might want the multifunction steering wheel.:)

cougsfan 01-01-2008 10:45 PM

Well Amg, sounds like an S isn't the car of choice if fuel economy is an issue! I will quit second guessing myself.
Also, I agree with all your optionsuggestions except fog lights. I have had a few occasions on a foggy night where I appreciated them being there. They give quite a bit more perifial light close to the car. They aren't nearly as good as the fog lightson my Dodge truck, butbetter than nothing.

Adam 01-02-2008 12:15 PM

ORIGINAL: cougsfan

Well Amg, sounds like an S isn't the car of choice if fuel economy is an issue! I will quit second guessing myself.
Well, my car is far from stock and makes >200whp.[8D] The R53's are known for bad mileage but the R56 MCS gets really decent mileage.

WHITE07 01-03-2008 05:52 AM

Hello
I have a 07 MCS if I was you I would delete alot on your list and get the S . If you do not beat it it will give you great MPG I get over 40 on a trip. Just get the S with Cruise . The MCS comes with alot of stuff you want. the Xeon headlights ,DSC will more than pay for the S and the S comes with sport seats and fog lights.
My Opinion
John
I have a Pepper White Black top premium ,cold and leather,
It is my dream car . Do not settle for non S

rrcaniglia 01-03-2008 08:31 PM

I'm on the verge of ordering my first MINI. I've driven both MC and MCS. MCS has wonderful power and response. MC is fine, but not in the automatic version where it is anemic until about 3k. In the MC standard, you've got to work to keep rpms in the powerband, but if you're not lazy and actually enjoy driving, you'll findthe manual xmsn version has the pep you need. But you've got to work at understanding when to shift and what gear to shift to. You'll frequently skip a gear (e.g., 6th to 4th). Makes BMW's choice of a six-speed with closely spaced ratios the perfect choice.

I've got auto A/C in my Merc and never use the auto function. I just adjust the controls when I'm hot or cold. Will not get it on the MINI.

Recommend you get the rear fog light since you're in fog often enough for front fogs. Having spent 8 yrs in Germany, I can attest to its exceptional value in warning overtaking cars of your presence.

Will not get DSC. I'm old enough to know how to respect corners. Anyone needing DSC will have to be either routinely in some strange weather or willbe trying to substitute technology (and blind trust) for skill. It seems to me that part of the MINI experience is to actually drive the car, not pretend it's a ride at Disneyland.

Below someone says the S gets 40 mpg when driven gently. Someone else says not so. If it were true, I'd get the MCS. Seems that since the turbo isn't robbing crankshaft power, maybe it can be true.

Anything on this from the board?

RC

Adam 01-05-2008 01:35 PM

The person getting 40mpg in their MCS has an R56 with the new engine, I have an R53 with the old engine and only see ~20mpg.

t3truck 01-31-2008 03:05 PM

My wife has the 07 MCS, 6 speed. Driving conservatively, about 30 MPG in town and a little over 40 on the road, in cruise at 70 MPH. Put your foot into it, and I'd seen the instant MPG drop to under 10 !!

Love the turbo !!!

Adam 01-31-2008 05:07 PM

That 10 mpg is instantaneous MPG, not average. I can get mine to say 5.