07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini Winter Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Default Mini Winter Problems

BMW has acknowledged an issue with some of the later Minis (minis an 07) whereby condensation gets into the system so when the vehicle starts up it is backfiring, missing and the engine lights go on. Sometimes it just gets better on its own, for example in underground parking. Only a problem in quite cold Wpg weather. BMW is working on a fix but as of today they do not have a satisfactory one. Any others out there with this issue?

Old 01-31-2009, 09:14 AM

Yep, I've had that problem on and off since November. My Turbo S has been with BMW since mid December. Not very happy about it and not exactly sure what to do. I was told this week they still haven't figured out a fix and have no idea when I will be getting my car back.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:20 PM
Default Winter Issues

I've got an '09 S with 6000 miles, live in Michigan and have experienced the problem.

Here's how my problem went:

Noticed the check engine light came on when I started the car on a 12 degree morning in my garage. The engine rattled along in "safe" mode. The half shadowed engine light goes off after a while and another icon replaces it - I think was the cruise icon. The cruise icon went off and the "full" check engine light came on in the center pod.

After idling for a time, the engine warmed up and idled fine but the check engine light stayed on. After driving the car a couple of times, the check engine light went off not to be seen again - for a while.

It occurred first in December and again Jan. 22.

I called the dealer and asked if they could pull the codes to determine what happened. They said once the check engine light goes off, they couldn't retreive it. (I have a hard time believng the BMW guys wouldn't have designed the system to record and retain all codes.)

Yesterday, took the car to my dealer. (The check engine light went off on the way.) When I arrived, the service dept. knew exactly what was going on noting a number of '09 S's were having the problem.

The immediate fix is to change the oil and filter. Then remove the intake tubing from the air clearner to the intercooler and clean it out. Seems water condenses in the tube near the control valve at the bottom of the engine and freezes. This causes the valve to be "locked" causing the engine to run in "safe" mode. When the engine warms, the ice melts and the valve is freed. Result - the engine runs normally.

BMW is working on a permanent fix now.

Here's what else I learned.

If I experience the problem again (making my 3rd time) and take it to the dealer for repair, they will remove the offending intake tube, clean it and put the system together again. (No oil change this time.) The second time back to the dealer, however, will allow the dealer to order a new design intake tube. When the new part arrives, the dealer will install the new tube in the vehicle. Viola - the problem is fixed I'm told.

Hope this helps.

The Miniac

Old 01-31-2009, 10:47 PM
Default 07 no more

Interesting what you say...I have a 07, live in the upper midwest...here is what mine did....

Jan 14th started doing the backfire.....had the car brought in. Told it was a throttle body that froze up and they replaced....they also changed the oil and filter at the time....

Jan 24th picked up car and drove a total of 100 miles over the weekend....monday morning came around and it started doing it again.

Brought it in ....was told that it was the same thing, than told in also had to do with the intake manifold. Was told mini had to approve work since it was 2 times in a row.

I got a call on the 30th....Mini was buying my car back. So dont know what problem is beyond what I am being told. I have owned it about a year and had several problems since I owned it....it was a late 07 model.

Anyone else have similar story....

Old 02-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

WOW impressed they would buy it back ... it took a lawyer and 20 trips to service to get GM to buy mine back

Old 02-09-2009, 10:37 AM

Perhaps this might be of a similar problem:

I am about to make a purchase on a certified pre-owned s with 9,500 miles (BMW executive car). Started it when it was about 20 degrees outside and the engine started up made a consistent pinging/knocking noise. it was just like the car was idling but instead of the constant purr of the engine it was replaced with this loud knocking sound. I turned the car off and back with the hood up, my friend stated that the entire engine jolted back and forthe when the engiine kicked on. After it warmed up, it was still a lot louder than another cooper that I tried. This is a certified mini and I would think that this might be a major red flag? I love the car and package, but not sure about this issue. any thoughts or recommendations?\
Thanks

Old 02-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Default 07 Lemon

I got my 07 Cooper S brand new and as soon as the temperature dipped below freezing the car's RPM's would drop and the car would shut down triggering the "check engine" light and "cruise control system failure" light. I was told it was the throttle, the intake manifold, the onboard computer... They rebuilt the top part of my engine in December but it still didn't fix the problem. Brought it back last week and told them I didn't want it back. A couple hours later I was on the phone with the service manager negotiating a new car. The final diagnosis for the car was a problem with the intake manifold.

Mini bought my car back and I'm expecting my 09' Cooper S in about a week!!

Old 02-17-2009, 11:44 AM

Thanks a lot for your answer. I have decided on a 2008 John Cooper Works with 140 miles. Hope that I do not intale the same problems!
Wish me luck and good luck on your '09.

It speaks a lot about your dedication to the mini brand.

Scott

Old 02-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Default manifold problems

We just recieved our 2008 Mini Clubman back from the dealership where they installed a new manifold that was shipped from overseas. Same probem as described by others. Usually caused by below zero temps, but not always. Engine revs constantly upon startup and low engine power light and high emission lights come on. Continual shutting off the engine and restarting allowed the car to run. Brought it in the first time and they changed the oil. (We have to drive 200 miles to the dealership) Same problem occured the next day and then the dealership kept our car, gave us a ridiculously awful rental and proceeded to sit and wait for the part. Can't tell at this point if this will ever happen again because it's not that cold out, but once again, they screwed up the window programming - for the second time - and now we have that issue. Bad, bad customer service all the way around.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:57 AM

Hi ya

i have a 2008 Cooper S that backfires a lot . . . but i have no performance issues she goes like a bullet . . .
is the backfire the signal that probs are gonna come ??

Quick Reply: Mini Winter Problems