Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56) (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/07-up-mini-cooper-cooper-s-r56-31/)
-   -   Mini cooper s 2008 - engine fault reduced power (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/07-up-mini-cooper-cooper-s-r56-31/mini-cooper-s-2008-engine-fault-reduced-power-7265/)

mohdghattas 09-07-2014 05:56 AM

Mini cooper s 2008 - engine fault reduced power

Hello

im facing a problem with my mini cooper s 2008 hatchback

a warning came up saying " Engine failure, reduced power "

and when scanning the car, no codes show up

i replaced the TURBO itself with no luck

i fixed the water pump, i replaced the thermostat since first the scanner showed that its no working

the car runs normally but it has acceleration power

everything seems to run quite well

any suggestions please to check? its now like a month with this issue

Aziz Al Shalali 07-16-2016 04:44 PM

Hey:)

I have the same problem for like 2 years, i fond a way to remove it with scanning the code as BMW not as a mini (choosing BMW 320i in the computer) but it's just keep coming back ever time i drive for long distance. I Wonder if you managed to fix the problem :)

Gfer 07-17-2016 05:45 PM

What code are you clearing with the BMW OBd2

Kevin Hogan 08-13-2016 11:03 PM

I have the same problem, it shows the half motor icon and runs as if it has no boost. I had it scanned and was told it was the knock sensor. It was intermittent, mostly happening only on long drives over 100 miles. It didn't bother me that much so I just let it slide. Recently it showed the same icon and it stays on and I'm running at about half power, seems like no boost. I had it scanned by a friend and he said there was no codes.
So, I assumed it was the knock sensor and it was a pain to find and replace but I did it. Took it around the block and the half engine icon is no longer displayed but it's still running with no boost.
my question is...Do I need to reset something for the computer to reboot?

ricky14496 05-14-2018 09:25 PM

Reduced power 2004

I have a 2004 Cooper it is in reduced power mode it says EP. On the dash. Can anyone help me with this

rubyfocus 06-14-2018 12:03 AM

I had the same exact problem. It was an ignition coil failure.

Speedygixxer1000 06-28-2018 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by mohdghattas (Post 18081)
Hello

im facing a problem with my mini cooper s 2008 hatchback

a warning came up saying " Engine failure, reduced power "

and when scanning the car, no codes show up

i replaced the TURBO itself with no luck

i fixed the water pump, i replaced the thermostat since first the scanner showed that its no working

the car runs normally but it has acceleration power

everything seems to run quite well

any suggestions please to check? its now like a month with this issue

Mine was doing the same but not throwing any codes unless i went to the pending codes option on my scanner.. mine ended up being the cam position sensor and another time being a coil pack.

Heath Slaton 07-04-2018 08:49 AM

Engine failure

Had the same problem with my 08 R56 with 137k miles. Because of the mileage on the engine, the piston rings were worn and no longer holding oil in the engine. Thus, oil was getting on the VVT sensor and blowing out of the tailpipe causing reduced engine power. The only option was to rebuild the engine or replace it. I am currently in the process of replacing the engine with one that has 95k miles on it.