Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56) (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/07-up-mini-cooper-cooper-s-r56-31/)
-   -   .................. New owner 2 Questions .............. (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/07-up-mini-cooper-cooper-s-r56-31/new-owner-2-questions-10810/)

missannissan 02-26-2018 09:18 PM

.................. New owner 2 Questions ..............

Evening and Thanks for the add, Recently purchased a Fully Loaded 2009 Mini 2 dr Hard Top 48,000 miles Mellow Yellow ...My 1st car when living in Australia was a 1968 mini Deluxe with wind up windows.... after watching the original Italian Job with Michael Cain just had to have one,
..... so I have two questions ...
the other night I am seated in the car engine off and from behind the dash it sounds like a computer printer starts running / printing ..what is that ??? went on for 2 or 3 mins

2nd question... the dip stick oil level indicator is a Brown plastic / baker lite material big hole at the bottom being the Lo level but no real indicator at the top to indicate the Full mark asked the dealer .... said the oil should be about half way along the brown section and do not fill to the top of the area that spreads out with what looks like a much smaller hole...Suggestions and Thanks in advance.

PhatBrian 02-28-2018 05:58 PM

To answer the second question first, the dipstick is a pain to read. Like they said make sure the dipstick has oil around the middle of the brown part and make sure its covered all the way around. Some times when you push the dipstick in it can touch some oil on the dipstick tube and can give you a false reading. So be sure where you're reading is consistent all the way around the dipstick. Make sure there's always oil because low oil can cause many driveability issues as well as the dreaded timing chain failure, which is big bucks.
For your first question I believe what you're hearing is one of the motors like the throttle or something actuating. I believe that noise is a self check of the throttle motor or some other actuator. Anyone else with more information may chime in and correct that statement. Is it a quick sound? Kind of like punching in and out on an old time clock?

missannissan 03-01-2018 12:02 AM

Thanks for the reply dip stick reading at the moment is close to the top of the brown section where it bellies out so i hope it's not over full.... and yes the sound behind the dash is like you describe so nothing to worry about by the sounds of it...

chiliredmini 04-12-2018 01:17 PM

I also have an 09 Mini Convertible and I hear the same sound after shutting off my vehicle. Seems like its coming from either the engine bay or the wheels, hard to pin point but it's a "thud" like sound and occurs every 15-20 secs or so can't figure out what it is and if it's problematic.... if I had to describe it it sounds almost like drum brakes adjusting. If any one has any input that would be great!!!