Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56) (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/07-up-mini-cooper-cooper-s-r56-31/)
-   -   Newbie with engine issues sputtering? (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/07-up-mini-cooper-cooper-s-r56-31/newbie-engine-issues-sputtering-10829/)

jmhall28 03-05-2018 10:04 AM

Newbie with engine issues sputtering?

Hey everyone, I just purchased my first Cooper S, a 2009 R56-S on Saturday 3/3/2018. I drove it about 100 miles without issues. This morning I jumped on the freeway to drive to work and suddenly the engine light began to flash. Then the car started losing power and sputtering. I managed to get off of the freeway. As I drove it back to the dealership, taking the side streets (around 10 to 15 miles), it continued to sputter and shake horribly, however, it stayed running. By then the engine light was staying on solid. When I took my foot off the gas, it smoothed out a little. When I got to the dealership, I turned off the motor and turned it on again to see if the engine light remained. It did not, but the engine stopped running smoothly. I've been reading horror stories about similar issues. The car is now at the dealership where I purchased it, but I gotta say I'm scared shi$$less. I know it's a BMW, and I know they can have issues, but I wasn't expecting something like this, and so soon.

Any ideas, what it could be. My instinct is fuel pump, injectors, fuel filter, or timing belt.

PhatBrian 03-10-2018 09:36 PM

Probably coils or plugs. Or both. How many miles?

Originally Posted by jmhall28 (Post 24897)
Hey everyone, I just purchased my first Cooper S, a 2009 R56-S on Saturday 3/3/2018. I drove it about 100 miles without issues. This morning I jumped on the freeway to drive to work and suddenly the engine light began to flash. Then the car started losing power and sputtering. I managed to get off of the freeway. As I drove it back to the dealership, taking the side streets (around 10 to 15 miles), it continued to sputter and shake horribly, however, it stayed running. By then the engine light was staying on solid. When I took my foot off the gas, it smoothed out a little. When I got to the dealership, I turned off the motor and turned it on again to see if the engine light remained. It did not, but the engine stopped running smoothly. I've been reading horror stories about similar issues. The car is now at the dealership where I purchased it, but I gotta say I'm scared shi$$less. I know it's a BMW, and I know they can have issues, but I wasn't expecting something like this, and so soon.

Any ideas, what it could be. My instinct is fuel pump, injectors, fuel filter, or timing belt.

jmhall28 03-11-2018 11:49 AM

First thank you for replying! And actually you were correct, it was the coils! Luckily, the dealer that I purchased it from fixed it for free! Whew!

So my next project is to have the timing belt replaced and check out fuel pump. Apparently these, are known to have issues with both. I also noticed they don't have run flats on it and I travel so I need to get those replaced. I'm thinking of getting some cool rims and put run flats on those, then put winter tires on the OEM rims for the winter.

It currently has 73k on it.

PhatBrian 03-11-2018 12:38 PM

i would definitely get the timing checked. as for replacing the chains(not a belt) you can probably have a new tensioner installed. but if you've got the money it would definitely be a more solid investment to have the chains done. just make sure you do your oil changes at like 5-7k intervals and make sure your oil is at the appropriate level. that's the major killer of the chains. as for the fuel pump double check to be sure yours is covered under extended warranty. as for run flats...if you've got the money, i guess go for it? I personally just buy regular tires and hope i dont catch a nail. you can buy 2-3 normal tires for the price of 1 run flat. obviously depending on price and quality. four run flats(douglas tire...bottom barrel) were quoted at 800 with install. i just bought ironmans non run flats(bottom barrel) and installed them myself for 225 dollars total. you cant patch or plug run flats so as soon as they're compromised by a nail or screw they must be replaced at like 200 a piece...if you need any help or info I'm more than open to giving you information or opinions from both sides of the field.

jmhall28 03-12-2018 01:15 PM

Will do thanks!

jmhall28 03-12-2018 01:26 PM

I think my next investment will be the chain and window tint. I live in the city, and it's a bit too open.