Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56) (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/07-up-mini-cooper-cooper-s-r56-31/)
-   -   timing chain funny story (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/07-up-mini-cooper-cooper-s-r56-31/timing-chain-funny-story-9249/)

slow motion 07-25-2016 03:52 PM

timing chain funny story

This is a riot. I decided to sell my 2010 S to pay off my building. Had a buyer, went to start it up to meet her, it jumped/broke the chain on startup. After I stopped laughing, I began crying after I realized that because I paid it off early 2 months ago, the warranty I was also paying for ended along with the payments. So my question is, it is easier to drop the motor out the bottom (I have a lift) or do all the work bending over the front of the car? My unrealistic hope is that because it failed just cranking that no valves bent, but I know better. I'll pull the valve cover to verify before I do anything. I don't suppose there is any recourse for me now on any help from BMW, the class action suit I found is closed for new cases? I can do the work myself, including rebuilding the head as required. Just need to know from someone who's been there/done it which method is easier. TIA

DavidVener 11-30-2016 10:46 AM

Timing Chain Failure

Mini Cooper S 2010 Hardtop. 33k miles. Well maintained. I have the identical model number car and engine as those in the settlement but because it was a 2010 it was excluded from the class action settlement and I was not notified of any dealer arrangements. The car made a funny noise for about 5 minutes and then died. Turns out it was the timing chain issue and my car is now worth $0. I would like to reopen the class action lawsuit or file a new one. Mini has refused to offer anything other than 30% towards a new engine (approximately $2400 of $8000 repair) and no cash settlement. Prior to the engine being destroyed the car was worth approximately $10k. I need approximately 40 co-claimants to get it certified. Please contact me directly davidvener (at) yahoo.com

DonMiller 01-09-2017 09:25 AM

David,
Wondering what your outcome was. I have the identical issue with my wifes 2010 S.
Thanks, Don M.

DavidVener 01-09-2017 08:51 PM

So far I have had no further response beyond what was originally offered. Please send me your contact info and I will add you to the growing list of people who would constitute a new class action against BMW/Mini. Email to davidvener (at) yahoo.com Thanks, David

2010MiniConv 02-14-2018 04:06 PM

pursuing filing a second lawsuit against BMW USA / Mini Usa

I unfortunately have the same issue, its a 2010 mini cooper s conv. with 62k miles
that i bought a year and half ago.
the high pressure fuel pump failed, water pump, timing chain, oil filter housing gasket has leak, vacuum pump also has leak.
all of this is approx $6,000 to fix, all of these faulty parts. i just paid $13,000 for the car and now it needs all of this done to it.
BMW usa has been rude and uncooperative and so has Hendric Mini. im pursuing filing a second lawsuit against BMW USA / Mini Usa. If anyone has any recommendations for a law firm to handle this case please let me know.

PhatBrian 02-14-2018 08:28 PM

to answer the original question of this thread after seeing everyone's complaints. you can do the timing chain with the motor in the car. have a jack. and completely remove the passenger side motor mount. lower the motor a good deal and you'll have all the access you'll need. its super easy if you have the timing tool to block the camshafts and pin the bottom end in place to keep timing. you may have to use a wrench to turn the camshaft to line up the tool. if yours skipped timing while cranking i would hope you're ok. as for the other people trying to get the class action to work....good luck. in the future keep your eyes on your oil levels, thats the main killer of these chains. especially in the older peugeot motors.