Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56) (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/07-up-mini-cooper-cooper-s-r56-31/)
-   -   Want a louder "PSSSHH" sound (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/07-up-mini-cooper-cooper-s-r56-31/want-louder-pssshh-sound-10991/)

MiniR56sbm 05-03-2018 11:48 AM

Want a louder "PSSSHH" sound

Hello everyone! I have a 07 R56 S, it is manual and I would love to have a louder whistle. I'm looking into upgrading the blow off valve but I am also a car noob. Any recommendations? Also, do I buy the adapter for a BOV or the whole kit? Is there a way to not break the bank? I've already looked at forge but not exactly sure what to buy and I don't want to buy unnecessary parts.
-Thank you in advance!

ThtR56Guy 05-04-2018 11:10 AM

Hey all you have to do to get a bigger turbo whistle and blow off is get a Cold Air Intake. If you arent satisfied with that then you can look into BOV

RCBound 05-05-2018 12:25 PM

Since you are new to any car mods, maybe the Forge BOV setup would be best for you. There isn't any altering of hoses, it just replaces the re-circulation setup. I have an 07 R56 S also and am considering the Forge for simplicity. I haven't done a ton of research yet to see if the Forge is actually good quality. I need to personally do more research into a BOV being installed after the air has been metered possibly causing an issue. Normally it will just cause a car to run rich between shifts. I've heard of it causing issues but I need to look into it more. The Forge won't cause any issues from what I've read.

Yes you can hear more turbo sounds from getting after market intake setup(not like a true BOV though), however I feel you'd still end up doing a BOV eventually anyways. So I guess do what you would prefer first if that's the case. Intake upgrade will actually give a performance upgrade too vs mainly a cooler sounding car. Don't rush, just do research and try to weed out the troll comments and crap advice as there is plenty out there.

If you want the Forge I'm pretty sure there's a complete kit to buy that includes all parts needed.

MiniR56sbm 05-05-2018 10:25 PM

Thank you!! What would you recommend to do first exactly? I would love to do everything the right way but when I say car noob I mean practically an infant in the world haha. I don't exactly know where to start and I just enjoy the whistle. What intake brands and such would you recommend looking into?

ThtR56Guy 05-06-2018 12:21 AM

Intake

AFE or K&N work very well there isn't much to them when looking at big boy brands for intakes the main price is the actual filter.. rest is just a tube. And well estethic preference. The COLD air intake made a massive difference in sound and whistle compared to stock.

as far as BOV go.. Forge is a good one and great quality I've had forge and its absolutely fantastic but of course with Bov it's also personal preference as far as sound.. but forge is good HKS

which you do first is your call. Both are pretty simple and easy to get to and swap out. Cold air intake will be a bit easier for both project you need small about of time and a wratchet Haha

GOOD LUCK! Since you're a car "infant" all I can say is don't be afraid to try new things to see how you like it because at the end of the day it's yours and you make it your own. Do your research not to kill or do harm to your car.