Need some help. 11 Clubman with auto trans, shift lockout spring broke

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 09:32 AM
Default 11 Clubman with auto trans, shift lockout spring broke: Solved

I can't see how to get the auto trans shift handle off the shift rod. The return spring that holds the gear safely in the selected position has failed, and the lockout detent doesn't work. I need to replace the spring inside, but first have to get the shifter off the shaft.

If you have had this off, or if you know how to remove the shifter from the rod, please advise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
With the help of youtube I got the shifter off the shaft. Put in D, and then just pull straight up on the **** and it comes right out.

The detent spring is a piece of cheap metal, and mine cracked in half where it goes into the housing at the top of the inner part of the ****.

Once you have the **** and shaft out, use a butter knife and pry between the detent pivot on top, and the ****, and the detent asm handle will pop out of it's little keepers. You will see the detent bottom pivot where it lifts the safety rod which locks the car in or out of gear, depending on if the brake is pressed. The small steel plate is mounted at the top, and slides into a slot at the very top of the inside shift boot. My spring broke in two.

I went to Ace hardware and they had some stainless spring material for holding valves in position. You can use any kind of flat small spring steel that will fit in the slot in the top inside ****. Stick the spring steel into the slot, and then bend it down about 30 degrees maybe 2-3mm out from the ****. Once you have that in, you can insert the detent handle, with the pivot on the bottom into its actuator fork, and then force the top of the detent back into their pivot points. You'll need to squeeze it pretty hard against the spring, and the pivot points to get the detent back in.

Once you have it together, put back in the car, and push down hard on the shifter, it will pop back down into place.

Last edited by docmirror; 05-22-2017 at 10:25 AM.