2002-2006 Mini Cooper (R50)

r50 door lock issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Default r50 door lock issues

Hi guys, first post,

We have an R50 with a door lock issue on the driver's side door. The remote fob will automatically lock the door, but the unlock button will not unlock the door. This is true of both key fobs. I have also re-programmed the fobs. The driver's door will unlock when you use the key in the door. The passenger's door is fine.

I'm wondering if this is simple fix, or a need for a replacement. I'm pretty sure it is not an electrical issue with signal from the ECU, or the fob not working, or the door switch not working, but a mechanical issue, such as a failing door lock actuator.

I've read about some people's problems with door lock actuators, and have found some info on how to take the door inner skin off. There actually seem to be two possible answers to the problem, which seems very common. The problem is with the cable that connects the handle to the lock actuator. The cable pops out of the actuator and it doesn't have enough tension to unlock it. the good thing is that it's easy fix. heres how:
pull of door panel.

remove the pin that moves up/down when you use the lock. the way you remove it is by feeling inside the door where it meets the actuator and poping it off. thats it.

look towards the actuator or feel with your hand for the cable that comes from the door handle. there is a green clip around the cable that goes into the actuator. you will have to pull the cable towards the front of the car and then push it into place in the actuator. that's all. if you want you can place a lil' bit of glue to keep it in place if it's not under warranty.

If this isn't the problem, such as the door will not lock or unlock, then it could be the actuator has failed. The part is around $100 I hear.
The part numbers for 1st gen minis are
51 20 0 556 768 Driver's side actuator
51 20 0 556 769 Passenger's side acutator

I think you can find these parts on realOEM.com

Any other help would be appreciated.

Last edited by bad venge; 09-29-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

I posted te how to on door panel removal ...

Old 01-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Default Doors will not open

My 2004 Mini Driver's door would not open. Key lock, remote, inside or outside handles all operated, nothing obviously broken, but door would not open. Same happened about a day or so later to the passenger door. Had to crawl thru the rear hatch. Pulled the door panel on passenger door. Found nothing broken. All mechanisms/electric fine. Just lubed lock/cable mechanism with WD40. Then door unlatched, opened fine. Driver's door: Instead of pulling inside door panel, tried spraying WD-40 between glass (window down) and outside of door toward lock mechanism inside of door corner. Door then opened with no problem! My car was previously owned. 85K mi. Lock mechanisms seemed very dry, mostly like never lubed. That save me from pulling the drivers door apart. MINI Dealer estimated $200-300 parts n labor without seeing car.