Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   2002-2006 Mini Cooper (R50) (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/2002-2006-mini-cooper-r50-11/)
-   -   CVT now working fine! (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/2002-2006-mini-cooper-r50-11/cvt-now-working-fine-10691/)

Sped Man 01-13-2018 07:59 PM

CVT now working fine!

Finally replaced the automatic transmission fluid on my 2002 Mini Cooper. It wasn't hard at all. I removed the battery, and battery tray. Underneath that was the fill plug. I unscrewed the transmission pan drain plug. I drained the oil while the car was off. 3 quarts of filthy oil came out (4 1/2 of transmission fluid should have came out). I added 4 1/2 quarts and 9 ounces of extremeoil. I drove it yesterday 23 miles without any problems. Today I put another 15 miles on it in stop and go traffic and no problems. The car drove normally. Prior to this after warming it up, it would start to act up while I was driving. The rpms would claim past 3K and it wouldn't go past 30mph. When I would come to a stop it would stay at 3k. Now it drops to 800-900rpms. Prior to doing any of this I also replaced my car battery. My charger told me the battery was no good. This on a mini can cause these problems. Another reason why your car may act this way is due to the rotational speed sensor being bad. You can buy a new one for around $48 shipped. I ordered one at https://www.aliexpress.com. I haven't installed it yet. I wanted to see if changing the transmission fluid and adding extremeoil would help first. So far it has. If your mini is acting like this before you junk it try changing the transmission fluid. Replace one thing at a time. Replace the trans oil first if that doesn't work add Extremeoil if that doesn't work then replace the rotational speed sensor. Don't forget to have your battery tested. Total cost to get my car running smoothly so far $250 (that includes the cost of a new battery ($150) you might not need one). Hope this helps.

tman 01-23-2018 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sped Man (Post 24660)
Finally replaced the automatic transmission fluid on my 2002 Mini Cooper. It wasn't hard at all. I removed the battery, and battery tray. Underneath that was the fill plug. I unscrewed the transmission pan drain plug. I drained the oil while the car was off. 3 quarts of filthy oil came out (4 1/2 of transmission fluid should have came out). I added 4 1/2 quarts and 9 ounces of extremeoil. I drove it yesterday 23 miles without any problems. Today I put another 15 miles on it in stop and go traffic and no problems. The car drove normally. Prior to this after warming it up, it would start to act up while I was driving. The rpms would claim past 3K and it wouldn't go past 30mph. When I would come to a stop it would stay at 3k. Now it drops to 800-900rpms. Prior to doing any of this I also replaced my car battery. My charger told me the battery was no good. This on a mini can cause these problems. Another reason why your car may act this way is due to the rotational speed sensor being bad. You can buy a new one for around $48 shipped. I ordered one at https://www.aliexpress.com. I haven't installed it yet. I wanted to see if changing the transmission fluid and adding extremeoil would help first. So far it has. If your mini is acting like this before you junk it try changing the transmission fluid. Replace one thing at a time. Replace the trans oil first if that doesn't work add Extremeoil if that doesn't work then replace the rotational speed sensor. Don't forget to have your battery tested. Total cost to get my car running smoothly so far $250 (that includes the cost of a new battery ($150) you might not need one). Hope this helps.

Wow this sounds like what is happening to my girlfriend's 2006. Before changing the fluid did you try using the manual steptronic mode, and if so did that work properly? It worked OK the first time I tried it after the auto started acting up, but the next time it would not always go into the next higher gear, and even if it did the RPMs would often jump up past 3000, definitely not working as it should.

Also, how did you know when the transmission was full? I have seen reports elsewhere of people using a plug on the side, and when that overflows it means it is full. Did you do it that way, or just put in the recommended amount.

Thanks for any help!!

Sped Man 01-24-2018 04:23 PM

IF your Mini is short on oil or has oil that is 16 years old it will refuse to go into gear (it will basically start to stick in gear)regardless of whether you are in manual steptronic mode. I check the internet up and down and finally came up with some really good advice that I employed to fix my Mini. I have put over 300 miles on it with zero problems. On the first generation minis the fill plug is located below the battery tray. The drain plug is on the pan. Remove the drain plug (do this with the car off) and the fill plug. Allow the trans oil to drain out. What should come out is 4 1/2 quarts. IF you get less than that you were short. Add the new 4 1/2 quarts of CVT fluid. After 4 weeks drain it again! Add another 4 1/2 quarts. Do this especially if it is now working properly. Why again? Your transmission holds over 7 quarts total. You want to make sure you are replacing enough of the old fluid. My fluid was 16 years old. None of the previous owners bothered to replace the fluid. That is why I was 1 1/2 quarts short. You have to remember these cars don't come with a dip stick.

I also went out and purchased extreme oil just in case. I also purchased a rotational speed sensor for my car. I first did the oil change. That worked. I purchased oilextreme just in case if the oil didn't work. I did add the oilextreme but I didn't have to. I never installed the rotational speed sensor. Changing the oil did the trick. That is why I suggest you start off with changing the transmission oil first then add oilextreme and if that doesn't work a rotational speed sensor. Whatever you do don't take it to the dealer! They will want over $300 to change you oil! Another thing don't lower the trans pan to replace the filter. Leave the filter alone!

Misc info:
I got my CVT transmission fluid at O'reillys. It cost about $10 a quart.

tman 01-27-2018 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Sped Man (Post 24714)
IF your Mini is short on oil or has oil that is 16 years old it will refuse to go into gear (it will basically start to stick in gear)regardless of whether you are in manual steptronic mode. I check the internet up and down and finally came up with some really good advice that I employed to fix my Mini. I have put over 300 miles on it with zero problems. On the first generation minis the fill plug is located below the battery tray. The drain plug is on the pan. Remove the drain plug (do this with the car off) and the fill plug. Allow the trans oil to drain out. What should come out is 4 1/2 quarts. IF you get less than that you were short. Add the new 4 1/2 quarts of CVT fluid. After 4 weeks drain it again! Add another 4 1/2 quarts. Do this especially if it is now working properly. Why again? Your transmission holds over 7 quarts total. You want to make sure you are replacing enough of the old fluid. My fluid was 16 years old. None of the previous owners bothered to replace the fluid. That is why I was 1 1/2 quarts short. You have to remember these cars don't come with a dip stick.

I also went out and purchased extreme oil just in case. I also purchased a rotational speed sensor for my car. I first did the oil change. That worked. I purchased oilextreme just in case if the oil didn't work. I did add the oilextreme but I didn't have to. I never installed the rotational speed sensor. Changing the oil did the trick. That is why I suggest you start off with changing the transmission oil first then add oilextreme and if that doesn't work a rotational speed sensor. Whatever you do don't take it to the dealer! They will want over $300 to change you oil! Another thing don't lower the trans pan to replace the filter. Leave the filter alone!

Misc info:
I got my CVT transmission fluid at O'reillys. It cost about $10 a quart.

Thanks! Which fluid did you use? And have you heard of this working for anyone else?