Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   2002-2006 Mini Cooper (R50) (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/2002-2006-mini-cooper-r50-11/)
-   -   Multpile fuel pump failures (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/2002-2006-mini-cooper-r50-11/multpile-fuel-pump-failures-1789/)

RichAromaCoffeeCo 02-15-2009 02:54 PM

Multpile fuel pump failures

A friend of mine has an 2002 Mini S with 50,000 miles on it. A few weeks back, the car just died and wouldn't restart. I tinkered with it enough to determine that the fuel pump was not running. Instead of a whine the pump just made a single "clunk" sound when the ignition was turned to the run position. It was getting power and the fuse and relay were fine. A shop then replaced the fuel pump (from BMW) and it ran for a day and then quit running again. BMW said to change the gas in the tank and reluctantly warranted the second pump. The car ran for about another day and apparently the pump has failed yet again as the car died and will not restart. The pump is making the "clunk" sound again as if it is seized up. The only difference between failures was that the last time it blew a fuse. So what would take out three different fuel pumps like this? I have read about the ethanol/gas mix issues but another friend has a Mini S and has no issues. I can't see bad gas killing a fuel pump in one day. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

bad venge 02-15-2009 04:08 PM

I've never heard of such a problem ... I'd check the voltage , possibly low voltage could be burning the pump out /bad relay, intermittant resistive contact... I'd drop it in the dealers lap since he did the labor

Star Thrower 11-13-2014 02:51 PM

I have this same problem!!

Please tell me you figured out a solution to this problem! I have the same issue. I've been through 2 mechanics and 5 fuel pumps! HELP!

F1FAN 08-17-2015 03:48 PM

2002-2006 Mini Cooper S (R53) Multiple fuel pump failures

Thanks for all who have at least posted to the exact same problem I am experiencing with my Mini. Thought I was an isolated malfunction. Anyone who has any info to what's causing their fuel pump failures would be greatly appreciated. I've been replacing with the VDO/Siemens units (same color green and white plastic housings as the original unit) and it's getting ridiculously expensive. I'm on my third pump. With-in 5 weeks. Going to check for proper voltage and suitable grounding. I will let the forum know if I have any success or valuable information. I have been able to unlock the frozen new pumps don't give me any grief please. And have been able to drive my car. But they eventually lock up again and fortunately only in my driveway "whew". :confused:

Star Thrower 08-18-2015 02:15 PM

When I had this issue 1 year ago, what finally fixed it was cleaning out the gas tank. It took 3 mechanics and 5 fuel pumps over the course of several months to figure this out. Haven't had a problem since the last guy fixed it. The mechanic who figured it out works on a lot of minis and is in Honolulu HI. The business is called A and A Motor Werkes and they are super nice and would probably talk to you if you call them and ask questions. My name is Lealyn Poponi. Such a strange problem but they really knew what to do and fixed it the day I brought it in.

F1FAN 10-18-2015 01:48 PM

I want to Thank you again Star Thrower. I wanted to let you and the forum know that since your last post I followed your suggestion to clean out the fuel tank completely bone dry. Wiping all remnants of suspect gasoline with paper towels. Have since had no fuel pump failures. And yes there was a gas station with suspect fuel that I didn't make the connection. With one other of my cars and a friend/neighbor which we all used their premium fuel.
Aloha and Mahalo F1FAN

minipatrick 12-13-2016 03:58 PM

i think my r50 fuel pump is out too. it started hesitating on acceleration and the next day it wouldnt start. no pressure at shrader valve on fuel rail and took fuel line off and turn key to on and can hear pump faintly but no fuel comes up

Wully Dunlop 09-08-2019 05:43 AM

fuel starvation

hello new to the forum having problems with mini clubman d fuel starvation diesel seems to be draining from injectors suspect air leak but at garage car ran fine no codes when this occurs it starts on a shot of EASY START aerosol is there a non return valve fitted any body help please