2002-2006 Mini Cooper (R50)

What are these wires near the ECU Connector?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 03:44 PM
Default What are these wires near the ECU Connector?

Hey All!

I hope I can explain this right, even though I do not know the name of the thing I am trying to identify (which also makes searching problematic!).

We had the 5 Speed tranny on our 2002 Mini replaced. After putting it all mostly back together, there is a 2-wire connector that we cannot identify what it is or where it plugs in.

There is a large connector that plugs into the ECU. (I believe that is called the "Basic Control Unit DME ECU Wire 39", based on my google searches.)

As you follow the wires connected to the ECU down maybe 6 inches from the connector, there are 2 wires that "branch" out of the bunch of wires. I believe it is a red and a black wire - with an odd shaped connector at the end.

On the attached image, the part I am trying to identify is in the lower left of the picture, slightly out of focus. The connector is almost rectangular, but with some notches in the corner.

So after getting the transmission back in, we cannot figure out what those wires connect into. We looked all around the fuse box area, and everywhere within reach of the wires and found nothing!

I am sure we are missing something really obvious, but I am stumped. Can anyone identify it from my description or the attached image? If so, where do I plug it???

I suspect it plugs into some sensor, because the check engine light now comes on, and it is not running well (according to the mechanic... we haven't driven it yet.

Thanks so much!
Cervantes

Attached Thumbnails What are these wires near the ECU Connector?-img_20170516_170657055.jpg  
Old 05-26-2017, 02:03 PM

Hmm. No reply. I will withdraw the question and ask around elsewhere...

Thanks,
Cervantes

Old 06-08-2017, 07:24 PM
Default I need help!

Did you ever figure out what that plug went to? I'm having the same problem.

I hope I can explain this right, even though I do not know the name of the thing I am trying to identify (which also makes searching problematic!).

We had the 5 Speed tranny on our 2002 Mini replaced. After putting it all mostly back together, there is a 2-wire connector that we cannot identify what it is or where it plugs in.

There is a large connector that plugs into the ECU. (I believe that is called the "Basic Control Unit DME ECU Wire 39", based on my google searches.)

As you follow the wires connected to the ECU down maybe 6 inches from the connector, there are 2 wires that "branch" out of the bunch of wires. I believe it is a red and a black wire - with an odd shaped connector at the end.

On the attached image, the part I am trying to identify is in the lower left of the picture, slightly out of focus. The connector is almost rectangular, but with some notches in the corner.

So after getting the transmission back in, we cannot figure out what those wires connect into. We looked all around the fuse box area, and everywhere within reach of the wires and found nothing!

I am sure we are missing something really obvious, but I am stumped. Can anyone identify it from my description or the attached image? If so, where do I plug it???

I suspect it plugs into some sensor, because the check engine light now comes on, and it is not running well (according to the mechanic... we haven't driven it yet.

Thanks so much!
Cervantes[/QUOTE]

Old 06-19-2017, 10:42 PM

Sorry Silas... Still have no idea what those wires are... And it is running rough as well. The error food says it is misfiring on cylinder#1.

With every same wires also disconnected, how is yours running? Any error codes?

Thanks, Cervantes
=Silas Haley;23752]Did you ever figure out what that plug went to? I'm having the same problem.

Thanks so much!
Cervantes[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]