2002-2006 Mini Cooper S (R53)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Mini Cooper Aftermarket Speaker Replacement HELP!t Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 04:42 AM
Default 2006 Mini Cooper Aftermarket Speaker Replacement HELP!t Issues

Hi there,

Have recently purchased an 06 Mini Coop and not long after the factory fitted drivers side lower speaker started cracking with my music (I listen to bassy music fairly loud), so I figured I had blown the speaker. I bought a replacement aftermarket Pioneer set from Halfords to replace it... tested the speakers at the time before fitting, they worked fine! And then when I installed the speaker in to my door, turned my music up, the entire soundsystem cut out, not just the new speaker. The heat unit was working fine for volume, changing channels etc but NO MUSIC! Now I read that it may be an issue with the amp, but I do not have a HK Harmon Kardon system, only the basic stock system so there's no amplifier in the boot.

Also worth mentioning I unplugged my new speaker and the music started again working with all the other existing factory speakers. So what is the issue? I noticed that the new speaker was damaged compared to the other one in the pair I hadn't played with... as in when pressing the speaker it was making a noise and had more movement so it. So did I blow this speaker too? Any reccommendations? I do not wish to blow more speakers with the 'plug and play' tactic I already used. Maybe the speaker was requiring too much power? I do not know.

https://www.halfords.com/technology/...rs-689357.html

These are the speakers I purchased

Thanks

Old 09-18-2020, 09:05 PM

I don't know what specifically happened but I am going down the same path but replacing all my speakers in my 2015 R57 Cooper S due to distortion at moderate volumes with the base stereo when at certain low frequencies (Bass). The stock base stereo could possibly blow the speaker you purchased if the impedance of the speaker is less than what the stereo is looking for, many stereos require a 4 Ohm impedance for a load and some speakers may have an Impedance of 2 to 3 Ohms which means you could potentially blow the speaker at high volume levels, like I said it depends on what the base stereo is looking for and I have been unable to find any specs on my unit. I know that the base audio system really just doesn't support strong bass due to speaker size and power output, you need 6 x 9's at a minimum if you want decent bass and replacing the factory radio is possible but not necessarily practical. The system does not have an output to drive a separate sub woofer so your only option is if you can fit 6 x 9's in your car. I know in my Model I have 4" Midrange and 5 1/4" woofers in each door and 6 1/2" woofers in the back for a total of 6 speakers, plan on installing JBL GX series speakers all around, original replacement size with no Amp. Not sure how it will sound to be honest with you but I will be getting the install done in about a week. The Impedance of the new 6.5" Speaker is 2.3 Ohms so I may have a problem but the speaker was recommended for my car and if it gets blown the installer will have to warranty it and figure something else out.....we will see.