2002-2006 Mini Cooper S (R53)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical system has serious problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 04:05 PM
Default Electrical system has serious problems

My 2006 MiniCooperS was in the shop for a switch of seats (my seats were removed and swapped for leather seats from a 2002 R53-model Mini, which had to be modified in order for the plugs to fit). The result was that the brake lights were permanently on, and I brought it to the Mini dealer (Ramsey, NJ) to fix, supposing that the brake light sensor part was faulty. Mini of Ramsey has had the car for four days now and has not found a solution to the problem. They said that the mechanic (a non-Mini mechanic) "fried" some parts of the electrical system and the Ramsey technician already spent 7 hours (@$150/hour) trying to find out what went wrong. Their speculation was that the seat-swapping guy had messed up the seat plugs and a lot of the other electrical system parts. I'm completely stymied and seem to be facing the ruin of my car or a huge repair bill when there was nothing wrong with the car to begin with. Any advice? Anyone out there with experience of electerical problems in a 2006 R53 Mini?

Old 02-03-2020, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by lacanian
My 2006 MiniCooperS was in the shop for a switch of seats (my seats were removed and swapped for leather seats from a 2002 R53-model Mini, which had to be modified in order for the plugs to fit). The result was that the brake lights were permanently on, and I brought it to the Mini dealer (Ramsey, NJ) to fix, supposing that the brake light sensor part was faulty. Mini of Ramsey has had the car for four days now and has not found a solution to the problem. They said that the mechanic (a non-Mini mechanic) "fried" some parts of the electrical system and the Ramsey technician already spent 7 hours (@$150/hour) trying to find out what went wrong. Their speculation was that the seat-swapping guy had messed up the seat plugs and a lot of the other electrical system parts. I'm completely stymied and seem to be facing the ruin of my car or a huge repair bill when there was nothing wrong with the car to begin with. Any advice? Anyone out there with experience of electerical problems in a 2006 R53 Mini?
I just had issues with the body control module where the lights were stuck on. But my windows and wipers and basically everything else not working.