Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   2002-2006 Mini Cooper S (R53) (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/2002-2006-mini-cooper-s-r53-12/)
-   -   I just got it and this!!! (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/2002-2006-mini-cooper-s-r53-12/i-just-got-5379/)

trinity5614 04-07-2012 09:22 PM

I just got it and this!!!

I just bought a 2003 Mini Cooper S last week. I looked it over and found no issue before buying. The temp gauge started peaking. I assumed it was due to low coolant due to a leaky plastic tank. (I have been told they leak). So I bought a new one and installed it. Today it started peaking again. When I stopped and looked under the hood it had sprayed coolant out of both hose connections to the resevour tank and from the cap. I took it to Autozone to get some coolant and hose clamps. I thought the clamps might be bad. The guy working there has a Cooper S and came out to check it out. He pulled the dip stick and what do you think he found. White junk. This is great I just got this car and I love it. I guess its time to shell out more $$$ to have it fixed. Comments and suggestions are welcomed. I am goin gto take it to the Mini dealer locally and have them look over it. They said it would cost $130 bucks for them to look the whole car over for problems. I guess its worth it.

Turbo-Go-Kart 04-08-2012 12:37 AM

White in oil means water from someplace. Good luck.

bad venge 04-08-2012 07:26 PM

If theres water in the oil likely blown head gasket

MiniWorx 04-11-2012 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by trinity5614 (Post 14258)
I just bought a 2003 Mini Cooper S last week. I looked it over and found no issue before buying. The temp gauge started peaking. I assumed it was due to low coolant due to a leaky plastic tank. (I have been told they leak). So I bought a new one and installed it. Today it started peaking again. When I stopped and looked under the hood it had sprayed coolant out of both hose connections to the resevour tank and from the cap. I took it to Autozone to get some coolant and hose clamps. I thought the clamps might be bad. The guy working there has a Cooper S and came out to check it out. He pulled the dip stick and what do you think he found. White junk. This is great I just got this car and I love it. I guess its time to shell out more $$$ to have it fixed. Comments and suggestions are welcomed. I am goin gto take it to the Mini dealer locally and have them look over it. They said it would cost $130 bucks for them to look the whole car over for problems. I guess its worth it.

Ouch. it is very uncommon for a head gasket to blow, it must of had a leak prior to blowing and I suspect either the thermostat housing or waterpump. Replace both if the head has to come off.
An expensive mistake. To antbody reading this PLEASE get a car you are thinking of buying checked by a shop that knows Minis.

eleung2012 04-18-2012 08:45 PM

I have a 2006 S convertible, temp. gauge peaked about a month ago. Come to found out the hose to the radiator had a hole because the engine aompartment is so tight, a screw rubbed against the hose. Fixed-$200... ouch...
Next thing, passenger seat sensor light came on, $1,300. ABS and tire pressure light come on...dealer going to charge at least $350 to trouble shoot. Engine mount & bushing needed to replace $2,800. Next up, transmission shifting rough 1st & 2nd gear, could be hydroic pump in side transmission another $2,800.
Needed a 2nd job to pay for the repair bill, anyone hiring?? :(