Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   2002-2006 Mini Cooper S (R53) (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/2002-2006-mini-cooper-s-r53-12/)
-   -   I've got a JCW Mystery! (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/2002-2006-mini-cooper-s-r53-12/ive-got-jcw-mystery-8072/)

DasNerdherder 05-10-2015 10:01 AM

I've got a JCW Mystery!

I recently purchase a 2006 R53. It was a two-owner vehicle before me. It's got the JCW emblem on the back below the "Cooper S" emblem. From what I've read the only factory-shipped JCW for 2006 was the GP and I know I don't have that. I've also read that there was a dealer-installed JCW package, but that would come with badging on the engine and a JCW logo on the exhaust tips. I don't have either one of those, so my assumption was that someone along the way put a JCW emblem on the back so that they could look cool - possibly even help sell it for more to some unsuspecting schmuck.

Then, yesterday - I found a little journal under the front passenger seat with a MINI logo on it. I'm assuming it came with the car originally. It looks like one of those Moleskin journals with the elastic band to keep it closed. There were some directions to someone's house on the first page, but the second page had two notes scribbled:

"Will the JCW engine modifications cause any maintenance issues?"
"Is there any extra routine maintenance needed because of the JCW engine modifications?"

The next two pages were ripped out, followed by a couple more pages of directions somewhere. I'm thinking maybe the second of the two owner's wrote that in the journal based on the JCW emblem on the back without knowing to look for signs of an actual JCW package. As far as I know the JCW package didn't have many (if any) modifications to the actual engine itself. But then, it's kind of odd that he'd write that in the MINI journal as the second owner. It's possible, it just seems odd that the journal would make it that long and that he'd write it in there.

Is it possible I've got a partial JCW package? Maybe the first owner installed JCW parts himself? I'd like to know so that I don't upgrade the supercharger pulley if it's already been done, and other situations like that.

Is there anything else I can look for to identify any "JCW" parts? Given that I don't have any badging, could I identify certain parts with a SKU, etc. that would give it away as an aftermarket upgrade?

Thanks for any help!

jc8825 07-06-2015 09:55 PM

No Mk1 cars were factory equipped with JCW parts. Those parts were available through a MINI dealer and were installed by said dealer to keep warranties in tact. One could order any JCW part separately. The cylinder head and intercooler air diverter were different (JCW is silver colored vs. black), JCW offered an 11 or 15% reduction supercharger pulley, JCW intake, JCW exhaust, various interior pieces like a carbon fiber dash piece, shift knob, steering wheel, etc. All JCW parts will be clearly marked with the JCW logo as your emblem.

Also directions for placement of the JCW badge was were to have it opposite the 'Cooper S' emblem, so if it is under the Cooper emblem, it was likely not installed by the dealer with actual JCW parts and instead ordered from eBay for $10 and applied by the previous owner. There is also a front emblem that attaches to the lower bumper grill mesh.

ECSTuning 07-14-2015 09:36 AM

Do you have pics of the MINI ? In 2006 on some MINIs had the dealer installed after and some came with installed parts from the port.