Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   2002-2006 Mini Cooper S (R53) (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/2002-2006-mini-cooper-s-r53-12/)
-   -   MINI Cooper S 2005 (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/2002-2006-mini-cooper-s-r53-12/mini-cooper-s-2005-a-3547/)

mia 10-02-2010 08:49 PM

MINI Cooper S 2005

Bought this MC 2 months, looks brand new and drives like a dream. I love it!!! Service Engine Soon light came on when the gas tank was a tad below refueling sign on gauge. Let it set a couple hours, then drove it to gas station. My miata did the same and just needed the gas cap tightened and once reacted to some bad gasoline. I checked the gas cap and notice the small black tubing was dented slightly. But no biggie! Made sure cap was on ok. In the course of a couple days it would come on and off. Thought it was all ok today because it didn't come on all day except when I was coming home. BOO Car runs fine-- I used high test gas but did fill too full, thinking a sensor or something just had to be reset automatically and it would work itself out eventaully. There is a private Import service place close by but MC dealership is 1 1/2 hrs away. No other lights or things are being set off. I am driving it intermittently every couple days. Can anyone give me some helpful info. Are MC's more sensitive than other imports? My Miata was so forgiving and easy. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

bad venge 10-03-2010 03:35 PM

Get it to an Autozone/Advanced and have the codes read (FREE) that will give us an idea whats wrong... If I use certain brands of gas I get a "KNOCK SENSOR" out of range ... Change to different gas and it went away

mia 10-03-2010 08:57 PM

Engine Service Soon- 2005 MC-"S"

Originally Posted by bad venge (Post 9837)
Get it to an Autozone/Advanced and have the codes read (FREE) that will give us an idea whats wrong... If I use certain brands of gas I get a "KNOCK SENSOR" out of range ... Change to different gas and it went away

Thanks for your reply--I love Autozone--always very helpful there. I am going to try NONE ethanol gas next time--have you had any success with it? Not too many stations carry it. I absolutely love the ride and handling and power of this car. It is a pleasure to drive. Is there anything really tricky about MINI's that regular service stores can't do the usual oil, lube, and fluidchecks, etc? Thanks for your imput.

MiniWins22 10-19-2010 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by mia (Post 9838)
Thanks for your reply--I love Autozone--always very helpful there. I am going to try NONE ethanol gas next time--have you had any success with it? Not too many stations carry it. I hid kits absolutely love the ride and handling and power of this car. It is a pleasure to drive. Is there anything really tricky about MINI's that regular service stores can't do the usual oil, lube, and fluidchecks, etc? Thanks for your imput.

Yea I love Autozone, the one where I live has always helped me out.