Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   General Mini Cooper Talk (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/general-mini-cooper-talk-30/)
-   -   Fuel Economy (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/general-mini-cooper-talk-30/fuel-economy-1045/)

thunderhead 05-02-2008 10:47 AM

Fuel Economy

Just used the 1st tank and got about 29MPG combined. That was the dealer tank. I refilled with 93 octane. They did not have 91 or I would have used that grade. $3.80 a gallon in NE Ohio !
I have the Cooper "S" convertible w/6 speed.

Just curious what other mini owners are getting.

I'm pleased with 29 on a new motor. Should get a little better as things loosen up.

Thanks.

cougsfan 05-02-2008 11:26 PM

RE: Fuel Economy

That sounds about normal for an MiniS. You can get a lot less if you have a heavy footm aybe a bit better on the road if you drive conservatively. Don't be cheap on the octane rating or you will actually get worse milage.

bad venge 05-03-2008 07:46 AM

My S is averageing that in mixed driving .... Full highway trips have been 33/35 depending on speed/route

Shorin 05-04-2008 02:19 AM

my 05 JCW is getting 32 mpg, but its mostly highway driving.

waverunner 05-08-2008 10:27 AM

I heard an interesting thing from one of the salespeople at the only Mini dealership in Portland. She said that all of the mileage reports are based on using Premium fuel. A customer of hers did a study of his own/spreadsheet and found that he can use regular gas, but that he still gets the reported fuel economy if he fills with Premium every 3rd tank. Go figure!!

Blue100 05-08-2008 06:39 PM

Be careful with that. I've had station attendants put regular in even when I asked for ultra and my Cooper would run like crap until the next fill up. Now I watch those guys like hawks. Only 93 for my baby.

thunderhead 05-11-2008 07:59 PM

Using 91 octane or better. Just hit $4.05/gallon here in NE Ohio.
Averaging about 27 MPG. That's with about 500 miles on the odometer. I'm sure it will do a little better after break-in.
How many miles until these really "loosen up". Still seems real tight but the transmission shifts much easier especially the reverse gate. That was a little tight for the first few days.

So far we are very pleased with this mini. Haven't found any defects. The fit and finish seem to be perfect.

Noticed a lot of brake dust on the wheels. Did agood wheel cleaning and we'll see if it's as bad after the pads seat.

Had some great top down weather but did need the heated seats on a few mornings.

Planning to use this as a daily driver. Bought it to drive everywhere. On a recent trip we stopped at the grogery store and also at the pet store for dog and cat food. The back seat and the boot were full when we returned home. Suprised with all we were able to get in the mini !