Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   change air filter on 04 Cooper (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/change-air-filter-04-cooper-5062/)

wlevey 12-09-2011 05:02 AM

change air filter on 04 Cooper

So how do I get the air box open so I can change the air filter? You would think changing an air filter would be easy! In the old days it was as simple as removing a wing nut!

Please help!

jeepindavis 12-11-2011 08:35 AM

wlevey,
you are right! used to be a wing nut and go. Now - I was just looking at removing the airbox on my wife's R52 the other day and it appears that MINI in their wisdom decided to use single use hose clamps on the ductwork that attaches to the airbox. The way I see it this means for us one of three options

1) we need to cut off the old clamps and either acquire the specialty tool that crimps on new facotry style clamps AND get the exact clamps from MINI to do this job
2) cut off those factory clamps and replace with new, more commonly used and available cam stye clamps making very minor modifications as necessary (trimming off the orientation "teeth" used to position the factory clamps)
or 3) surrender and pay the dealer an arm and leg to do something as simple as changing an air filter!

There may be an easier way, but I don't see it. I wish you well and will repost if I get to cutting those clamps off to let you know how it goes!

Scott

jeepindavis 12-18-2011 02:36 PM

Wlevey,
are you still driving around with a dirty air filter? I pulled mine off and if it isn't the original filter installed by the factory when our MINI was new I would be extremely suprised! It was so dirty I couldn't believe it!

I did have to pry open that clamp with a little screwdriver and am I glad I did. I'll post photos soon so you can duplicate. I'm sure this was neglected because it was slightly more complicated that in yesteryear.

Happy motoring!

sooner.atkins 01-08-2012 06:30 AM

I have an 06 Mini S. How did you get the clamp back on the air hose, or did you simply trim off the "teeth" and go with the cam style? Getting the clamp unlatched is no problem. Getting it latched...impossible. How do you do it?

bad venge 01-08-2012 05:14 PM

Mini makes a special tool , I just went to the store and bought a stainless clamp that fits
$6

wlevey 01-09-2012 04:26 AM

You have to replace it with a cam style.

jeepindavis 01-09-2012 06:09 PM

sooner,
you don't need any special tools. I haven't uploaded any photo yet but will next week.
put the original clamp back in position on the duct. Make sure the orientation is correct - there is a little rubber foot that fits in a notch in the clamp. Once it is all lined up have a pair of regular pliers and a long, flat screwdriver handy. Hold the clamp in place with one hand and squeeze the crimped part of the clamp back together with the pliers. then with the hand that was locating the clamp pick up the screwdriver (the pressure from the pliers will hold the clamp in position) and seat the crimp with the blade of the screwdriver.
THe first time I did this I was completely suprised at how easy it went together. THe second time it fought me a bit but after a few minutes of trying, I was successful.
Far be it from me to discourage anyone from buying a new tool, but in this case, it isn't necessary.
Good luck!

jtcaoimh 01-09-2012 10:01 PM

Will I need a special air cleaner element, or is it a type available a car parts places? 3 hour drive to Mini dealer!

PelicanParts.com 06-18-2012 11:22 AM

Adding a DIY guide for replacing your MINI Cooper air filter: Pelican Technical Article: MINI Cooper - Air Filter Replacement

-Jorge