Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   Crazy / Creepy issue with windows (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/crazy-creepy-issue-windows-4499/)

markbelle 06-06-2011 07:19 PM

Crazy / Creepy issue with windows

I have a 2011 Mini Cooper S. This morning before biking in to work, I went to get something from the car. I am 99.9% sure that when I left for work the windows were closed, sunroof was closed and doors were locked. When i got home from work however, the windows, including the sunroof were open. I was shocked and creeped out. I checked with the person I live with and they did not touch anything.

Later in the evening I took the dog out to the beach with the car and when I got home I closed the windows and locked up the car. I even did a double check because the person I lived with was working in the garden and reminded me it was going to rain and to make sure i shut the sunroof.

two hours later we were sitting in the dinning room eating dinner, when i happened to look out the window at the driveway and saw that the Windows and the sunroof were open again.

I was completely shocked and creeped out. I verified that both FOB's were in the house although they do not have buttons to control the windows.

The only thing different recently was:
1. I took the car to the car wash. Self serve coin wash where you wash it by hand .....this is the first time I cleaned the car since buying it two months ago
2. I accidently washed one of the FOB's in the washing machine when doing laundry.

I dont know what to make of this and wonder what I should do.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome

Mark

JMBL 06-13-2011 08:19 PM

That is creepy! Even if your key fob was waterlogged and unlocked the doors remotely; I don't see how it could open the windows/sun roof.

bad venge 06-13-2011 09:06 PM

minis have the feature if you press and hold the unlock it will roll the windows/roof down
Guessing the washed one shorted out the unlock or made it intermittant
or you placed it in the pocket and hit the button by accident

JMBL 06-16-2011 08:44 PM

Hi Bad Venge:
My MINI will not open the windows/sunroof no matter how long you hold down the unlock button. I tried pushing the toggle switch down, then tried it up just for kicks. For a while. Neither one did a thing. Is it possible the newer MINIs don't do this anymore?:confused:

reillyrobert 07-10-2011 07:04 AM

I had an 02 VW Cabrio that did the same thing except this car did nor have a sunroof. All windows would open on their own intermittantly. Turn out to be a faulty master window switch.

marcwitham 10-17-2011 08:30 AM

Me too!

My one year old Mini did the same damned thing to me yesterday.

I went out Sunday morning to find that both windows were open all the way and the moon roof was cracked open just a bit. I had used the car on Sat but it was a cold day so I remember keeping the windows up and having turned on the seat warmer. I even remember coming back from the market, locking the car, walking away from the car, remembering that I had left my groceries in the car, going back and locking the car. All windows up/closed.

Nothing was stolen out of the car. But I was still very freaked out.

IHATEMINIS 10-28-2011 03:02 PM

You need to take ur mini into the dealer for programming. The frm module in this vechile loses its calibration and results in irregular window/sunroof operation.
Also i have seen the door lock actuator that gets wet also and can cause goofy operation symptoms you are explaining.