General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2010 Mini Cooper misfiring and spark plug issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 08:14 PM
Default 2010 Mini Cooper misfiring and spark plug issues

Hi, first post! I have been having some trouble with spark plugs and misfiring. I was out of town at the end of March, my check engine light came on and was driving rough/ shaky while idling. Headed down to the MINI dealership to get a diagnostic. This is what came up:

-Several cylinder misfires
-Several cylinder misfire faults
-Oil in cylinder 1
-All spark plugs fouled
-Aftermarket ignition coils present

There were a few other issues as well, I left those aside at the time since I’m skeptical about using the dealership for repairs, and have a regular mechanic back at home. So, I had the coils and all spark plugs replaced, and the oil cleaned out. Dropped it off March 29, picked it up the 31st for $917.

I started to experience the same problem as before, rough driving and the engine light on, about 2 weeks ago. Took it to my mechanic on May 4th to figure out what was wrong. There were misfires on cylinders 3 and 4, and faults for misfires on several cylinders.

I was completely pissed, just having paid almost a grand at the dealership to have the same problem arise barely a month later. My mechanic changed all spark plugs. Which he also expressed that the dealer used the brand “Champion” which he wouldn’t recommend, changed to NGK. The coils were Eldor and still in good quality. He did this for me for $180.

What could be the cause of the misfires after just replacing the spark plugs and coils? Could this be the dealerships fault?

I have spoken with the adviser from MINI and he couldn’t come up with an answer for me, basically said that the parts are under warranty and I could always come back to get them switched.

I drove the car 3000 miles between the time it was serviced at the dealer to May 4th. Also, I have only had the spark plugs changed once since I purchased the car in March 2015. Just completely bothers me why I would have to replace them so shortly after the dealership service. The car is running well currently, and I haven’t noticed any leaks or any other problems.

*Sorry for the length*