Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   Is my Mini engine Blown? (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/my-mini-engine-blown-5309/)

jrincon 03-12-2012 04:43 PM

Is my Mini engine Blown?

Hi everyone, I'm new in the forum, and It's nice to have a Mini comunnity to talk and discuss with...:)

I have a problem, I hope you guys can help me... I own a 2009 Mini Copper R-56... a few days ago the overheating light sttarted to appear, first it was yellow, then the terrible red... after that, I drove immediately home, and finally it appeared the Oil light (also red) for a second, but then dissappeared... I cheked the water/antifreeze and It was almost empty (weird because a few weeks ago I just refilled it)... so I filled it again, and by today in the morning it was empty again (I know, it must be a leak)... but then also, since yesterday the engine has been making this little noise, like cyclical, It is NOT loud you can barelly hear it; it just wasnt there before... The Mini keeps going without problem, it doesn't smoke or anything... if something, I just noted it a little unresponsive(but just a little)...

I talked to a coworker, and scared the sh**t out of me when he told me the engine may have blown... I called my dealer, and they will receive my car until next week...

Does anyone had the same problem? or know what happened?.... I don't really think my engine is blown...

Thanks!!! :)

bad venge 03-12-2012 06:23 PM

It sounds like at minimum a blown head gasket...
How is the oil level ? does it look like coffee with cream ?

jrincon 03-13-2012 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by bad venge (Post 14080)
It sounds like at minimum a blown head gasket...
How is the oil level ? does it look like coffee with cream ?

No, it actually looks brown.red, normal...no cream...

bad venge 03-13-2012 02:53 PM

Well the Antifreeze has to be going somewhere , normally it goes into the crankcase

MiniWorx 04-11-2012 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by jrincon (Post 14079)
Hi everyone, I'm new in the forum, and It's nice to have a Mini comunnity to talk and discuss with...:)

I have a problem, I hope you guys can help me... I own a 2009 Mini Copper R-56... a few days ago the overheating light sttarted to appear, first it was yellow, then the terrible red... after that, I drove immediately home, and finally it appeared the Oil light (also red) for a second, but then dissappeared... I cheked the water/antifreeze and It was almost empty (weird because a few weeks ago I just refilled it)... so I filled it again, and by today in the morning it was empty again (I know, it must be a leak)... but then also, since yesterday the engine has been making this little noise, like cyclical, It is NOT loud you can barelly hear it; it just wasnt there before... The Mini keeps going without problem, it doesn't smoke or anything... if something, I just noted it a little unresponsive(but just a little)...

I talked to a coworker, and scared the sh**t out of me when he told me the engine may have blown... I called my dealer, and they will receive my car until next week...

Does anyone had the same problem? or know what happened?.... I don't really think my engine is blown...

Thanks!!! :)

How many miles on this would be my first question, if still under 50K you are coverd by factory warranty. NEVER drive when a red light comes on it can be very expensive.
From experience at miniworx.com my guess is you have a leaking thermostat housing causing the coolant leak.
Alway change your oil every 5 to 6000 miles even if the Dealer says you only have to do it when the service light comes on.
Take a look at our website and you will get to see what happens if you don't change oil frequently.MiniWorx - Independent Mini Cooper Repair in Los Angeles and Orange County