Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   passenger seat belt alarm (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/passenger-seat-belt-alarm-5076/)

Sharon McMillon 12-12-2011 09:11 PM

passenger seat belt alarm

Hi! I've a new 2012 countryman and I've got a few questions.
I'll get in my car, throw my purse (<5 lbs) in the passenger seat and start driving with no issues. Randomly, the passenger seat belt alarm will sound. (not mmediately, always after an interval) Sometimes it doesn't sound, sometimes it will sound and turn itself off after a couple of minutes, and sometimes it just keeps sounding. Fastening the belt will stop the alarm.

Husband has had the alarm sound with nothing in the seat but his cell phone.

Is this overly sensitive? Can the dealership fix this?

Thanks,
Sharon

bad venge 12-13-2011 03:29 PM

Wife had the same trouble .

Chimex MINI Cooper Seat Belt Warning Sound Stopper

this cured it thinks the belts buckled /no alarm chime

Bill 01-15-2012 11:15 AM

2012 Countryman seat belt chime

I have the same issue. Have taken it into the dealer two times, they can't replicate it, doesn't have a fault code... They say that I should video it when it happens, then take it back to be fixed.

As a side note, they also tell me that they checked with Mini and this isn't something that happens - that mine is an isolated case - I have reported mine to Mini USA - nice to see that others have the same issue!

daSpud 09-20-2012 10:49 PM

Alarm switch is sensitive

The seat switch seems to be super sensitive. I was on my way home from the dealer (100 mile journey) with my brand new Mini and the seatbelt alarm went off. I didn't dream it was the little bit of stuff on the passenger seat.

But yes, it was. I solved it by always buckling the passenger seat belt when that seat is not occupied. And when it is occupied, I insist on wearing a belt too.

This was my introduction to major annoyances on a mini car.

However that alarm is trivial compare to the car alarm going off at random times. Yes I can be with a customer and someone says "there is a car alarm going off". It is embarrassing to say the least. And worse yet I can reset it and it happens in 10 min again. I end up not locking the car. :(

PelicanParts.com 09-24-2012 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by daSpud (Post 15072)
The seat switch seems to be super sensitive. I was on my way home from the dealer (100 mile journey) with my brand new Mini and the seatbelt alarm went off. I didn't dream it was the little bit of stuff on the passenger seat.

But yes, it was. I solved it by always buckling the passenger seat belt when that seat is not occupied. And when it is occupied, I insist on wearing a belt too.

This was my introduction to major annoyances on a mini car.

However that alarm is trivial compare to the car alarm going off at random times. Yes I can be with a customer and someone says "there is a car alarm going off". It is embarrassing to say the least. And worse yet I can reset it and it happens in 10 min again. I end up not locking the car. :(

Do you get the car alarm issue solved?

daSpud 09-25-2012 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com (Post 15082)
Do you get the car alarm issue solved?

No. The dealer is 2 hours away and I am at 13,000 miles so when the 15k service is performed I will talk to them then.

Do you have a similar experience?

PelicanParts.com 09-25-2012 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by daSpud (Post 15086)
No. The dealer is 2 hours away and I am at 13,000 miles so when the 15k service is performed I will talk to them then.

Do you have a similar experience?

No, but we had a customer's MINI suffering similar electrical symptoms.

Bill 09-26-2012 06:18 AM

I had the same problem - seat belt going off for no apparent reason. Took it to the dealer many times and they couldn't reproduce it. They asked me to video it when it happened. Turns out that when I had my smart phone on the passenger seat, and was using the GPS - every once in a while it triggers the alarm! Figured it out by picking up the phone to video the alarm and the alarm turning off... I know place the phone on the rail between the seats, no more random alarm.

PelicanParts.com 09-26-2012 11:47 AM

Hmm, sounds like interrupting frequencies then? Odd.

daSpud 09-27-2012 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com (Post 15091)
Hmm, sounds like interrupting frequencies then? Odd.

I think it is just an extremely sensitive switch on the passenger seat. I could move things around on the seat and would or would not get an alarm. Solved the problem by bucking the belt on the unoccupied seat. Always meant to just get a buckle to stick in there and never got around to it.