Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   Replacing front brakes on '08 Coupe (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/replacing-front-brakes-08-coupe-5308/)

Headcase_Fargone 03-12-2012 04:05 PM

Replacing front brakes on '08 Coupe

Hi all,

New to the forum and here for some advice. I'm about to trade in my '08 Mini for a '12 but the dealership is telling me that I need all new brakes in the front beforehand. That's rotors, brake pads, and sensor. They want $800 to do this.

I thought that's a bit absurd so I priced out replacement parts and found them online for under $200. The question is, is this something that I or my more mechanically-inclined friends can do myself/ourselves?

I'm reading on some pages about a special tool (34 1 050) that's required to compress pistons, but these sites all seem to be talking about the rear brakes. Will this tool be necessary for replacing the front brakes?

Really appreciate any information you guys can give me.

bad venge 03-12-2012 06:25 PM

The REARS need the tool Fronts can be done with a C Clamp

florida_1959 04-09-2012 01:41 PM

you can buy the special tool from Harbor Freight for about $30. You only need it to turn in the caliper pistons becuase they are ratcheted out for the parking brake. Some people turn them in with adjustible pliers, but for $30 bucks its easier and you dont have a chance to damage the rubber boot. The fronts as said can be done with a C-clamp. the rest of the job is easy.

bad venge 04-09-2012 04:15 PM

If you search brakes I've listed cheaper alternatives ... Theres a cube that $20

PelicanParts.com 05-09-2012 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Headcase_Fargone (Post 14078)
Hi all,

New to the forum and here for some advice. I'm about to trade in my '08 Mini for a '12 but the dealership is telling me that I need all new brakes in the front beforehand. That's rotors, brake pads, and sensor. They want $800 to do this.

I thought that's a bit absurd so I priced out replacement parts and found them online for under $200. The question is, is this something that I or my more mechanically-inclined friends can do myself/ourselves?

I'm reading on some pages about a special tool (34 1 050) that's required to compress pistons, but these sites all seem to be talking about the rear brakes. Will this tool be necessary for replacing the front brakes?

Really appreciate any information you guys can give me.

Replacing both the front and rear brake pads and rotors is easier than you think. The C-Clamp a few folks in here mentioned already is definitely helpful.

For more information on servicing your MINI's brakes see these tech articles:

Pelican Technical Article: MINI Cooper - Brake Pad Replacement

Pelican Technical Article: MINI Cooper - Brake Disc Replacement