Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   tell me your mini issues (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/tell-me-your-mini-issues-2172/)

dschmale 06-12-2009 06:58 PM

tell me your mini issues

Hello guys and gals. I’m a BMW technician but am moving to a newly constructed mini dealer in the next two months. They haven’t yet completed the service facility so here I wait.

I was wondering what issues you all have had relating to your vehicles through the course of your ownership? I want to be particularly sharp on the mini as it will be the only car I repair for years to come so please, let me have it… all of it. Relay stories or simple, “x happened at y miles, dealer performed z and it did/did not fix the problem.” Any complaints about issues that have been resolved on the forum here? Any general gripes? Any suggestions where to look for a “database” of technical issues. I will have access to the tech database when our dealer code clears in a few weeks but honestly, nothing is as worthwhile as the experiences of owners and enthusiasts.

As soon as I am up and running at the new dealer, I will be happy to field questions regarding your vehicles. PM me, post here, let me hear all that has gone wrong with your vehicle, what repairs were attempted, any other info you feel pertinent. Mods, I am not not out for anything but info. I may post this elsewhere with your blessing. Thanks.

-DOUG

BMW master; ASE master automotive technician.

dschmale 06-14-2009 10:29 AM

reall, no one?

Does anyone know of a more active mini community that I can try?

Car54 06-14-2009 12:29 PM

Our '05 Mini Cooper S (6-sp) with 55kmiles has been acting strange with a rough idle when cold and a burbling and popping when you use the engine braking. There's also a lot of black residue at the exhaust tips. Any ideas?

conekillermini 07-28-2009 12:22 PM

rough idle

I have an 05 mini s with 81k stock and it has a random rough idle esp. on cool to cold mornings. I run 93 gas in it and it has a new air filter, new plugs, and new wires. still idles rough, no check engine light and when i punch it out on the high way it gets up and goes with no problem. Sounds like we have the same problem.

mEjOSEcANSECO 07-29-2009 12:11 AM

New mini owner!

Hello, I just recently bought a used 2006 Mini Cooper S with 20000 miles for $20000. Im wondering if that is a good deal? I think it is, but I regret getting it. I say this because it is a automatic with steptronic. I wanted a manual because it is considered better. My question is; Is it better? Im talking about speed wise. I want my car to be just as fast as the manual transmission Mini Cooper S. I wanted to know what is the speed difference between my auto steptronic tranny and manual tranny? I also wanted to know what can be done on a manual tranny that cant be done on a auot steptronic tranny, like heel toe, chirps, double clutch? If the steptronic is just as fast and just ass good as the manual Mini Cooper S then I would be satisfied cause I just got the car and only had it for a couple weeks.

msuspartan2009 07-30-2009 03:04 PM

CVT transmission i$$ues

I have had a standard 2002 Mini automatic transmission with 51,000 when purchased that the CVT transmission took a dive a 62,000 miles.... Given the cost of a new transmission at $8k.... has anyone considered converting to a manual transmission???? Need advice ASAP!!!!

bad venge 08-11-2009 07:44 PM

I've heard of several convert but it sounds pretty pricey and more then the auto replacement as there is extensive wiring and control chages , these folks purchased new parts unsure if you could pick up a wrecked donor and do it cheaper

lobergho 08-21-2009 11:33 AM

Tugging/jerking at slow speeds, 2005 auto

2005 MINI, automatic, 63,000 miles
When starting to drive, fwd or reverse, at slow speeds, around 10mph or less, the car tends to jerk or tug in a pulsing fashion.
Any ideas?

msuspartan2009 08-22-2009 07:39 AM

issues

I would have a service department look at it ASAP... I have seen posted that there was a needed computer update for the the Mini's with the CVT automatic transmissions which may help .....or like I went through at 65,000 miles.... my transmission belt broke and my transmission was trashed after owning the car for 4 months and $6,000 later for a rebuilt transmission...ouch and I talked with 4 dealers, two other repair shops and there were no other optiions!!!!

msuspartan2009 08-22-2009 07:42 AM

Anyone in Michigan that has CVT issues and looking for someone highly recommended fro repair work...check out

Bob's Transmission - www.bobstransmissionswmi.com
3220 Plainfield Ave NE, Grand Rapids - (616) 361-2375

They helped me through my transmission woes and are first rate people!!!!