Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   Transmission Problems? (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/transmission-problems-4191/)

Thorpe13 03-19-2011 02:08 AM

Transmission Problems?

Hey guys, new to the board, I got my 2008 Mini cooper automatic a week ago today, so far I love it more than any vehicle I've ever owned. But I've read a lot of horror stories about transmission problems happening very quickly in these cars. However most of the problems I've read about seem to happen with the models earlier than 2006. So I have a simple question, how worried should I be about my 08 having these described transmission problems?

bad venge 03-19-2011 10:33 AM

I've read issues on the newer ones as well but most seems to be programming issues that are handled under warranty my wifes clubbie is an auto and no troubles in 20k miles

Thorpe13 03-19-2011 02:59 PM

Mostly from what I can tell, the issues are with the CVT transmission. From what I can tell mine doesn't have a CVT transmisson because I can feel it shifting through gears.

bad venge 03-19-2011 05:32 PM

There are two automatics the 6 speed Asin shared with VWs and the CVT

Thorpe13 03-19-2011 10:58 PM

I checked into my manual that came with the car, and where it listed the features on my particular car, it said it had a Steptronic automatic transmission. Is this a CVT, or something else? And has their been many problems with these?

bad venge 03-20-2011 05:42 PM

Do you gave paddle shifters ?

Thorpe13 03-21-2011 12:11 AM

I do have paddle shifters, the car shifts through gears on it's own as a normal automatic would, and in the manuel it said that the transmission was made in Japan. So I am assuming that I have the Aisin transmission and not the dreaded CVT.

bad venge 03-21-2011 08:13 PM

correct

Ed Oshaben 11-08-2014 09:50 AM

Brand New MINI Jumping out of 1st Gear

I'm living through a nightmare with my brand new MINI S hardtop. I have only had it for about a week and only driven it 7 times for short distances. The car (standard 6 speed) had popped out of 1st gear 12 times during those 7 drives. I returned it to the dealer the first day I drove it after it popping out 7 times during my first 12 minute drive. They kept the car for 2 days during which it was supposedly driven by multiple people including the service manager. They concluded that they could not verify the problem. They claim it did not jump out of gear during all their test drives. I picked the car up after 2 days and drove home. The car jumped out of 1st again. I called the service manager back and he suggested I bring the car in to be test driven by myself with the general manager accompanying me. I have not had time to return while he was there yet. I drove the car yesterday and experienced the problem 2 more times.

This also bothers me tremendously...I spoke with my salesperson when I brought the car back the first time and explained the problem. They told me that this problem has happened before with other MINIs from that dealership. The service manager denies ever having seen or even heard of this problem before, plus he infers that it is my style of driving that is causing this problem. I am not an aggressive driver and do not abuse my cars, especially a new, unbroken-in car. This is my 3rd MINI, all standard shift, and I have never experienced this before.

ECSTuning 11-18-2014 07:58 AM

What year MINI and model Ed ?