Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   Tried to put in a new battery and screwed up... (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/tried-put-new-battery-screwed-up-11835/)

Zenith49 07-31-2019 05:31 PM

Tried to put in a new battery and screwed up...

I have a 2006 S convertible that has had several prior owners. One installed an Avital alarm. I put in the new battery and when I hooked it up, the alarm starting beeping and none of the buttons on the Avital remote did anything, so I disconnected the battery. Then I pulled a serious boneheaded move - I closed the trunk. As soon as I did it, I realized that I wouldn't be able to open the trunk again.

Firstly, what I need to do, is open the trunk. The fob does nothing because the battery is disconnected. Any hints/ideas on what I might do next??? I tried to fold the rear seatbacks down, but it seems to not work from the inside.

Secondly, I need to disconnect the alarm. I didn't take a really good look at it when I had the chance, but it appeared to come between the battery and the big red cable that leads toward the front of the car. Looks like a professional install.

I'm feeling intensely stupid, so any and all suggestions would be welcome.

Z.

ESumerfield 07-31-2019 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Zenith49 (Post 26815)
I have a 2006 S convertible that has had several prior owners. One installed an Avital alarm. I put in the new battery and when I hooked it up, the alarm starting beeping and none of the buttons on the Avital remote did anything, so I disconnected the battery. Then I pulled a serious boneheaded move - I closed the trunk. As soon as I did it, I realized that I wouldn't be able to open the trunk again.

Firstly, what I need to do, is open the trunk. The fob does nothing because the battery is disconnected. Any hints/ideas on what I might do next??? I tried to fold the rear seatbacks down, but it seems to not work from the inside.

Secondly, I need to disconnect the alarm. I didn't take a really good look at it when I had the chance, but it appeared to come between the battery and the big red cable that leads toward the front of the car. Looks like a professional install.

I'm feeling intensely stupid, so any and all suggestions would be welcome.

Z.

From what I found there should be a manual trunk release under the rear passengers seat....please see this video

@about 2:11

Hope that helps

Zenith49 08-06-2019 04:15 PM

Yeah, Thanks, but the convertible doesn;t have that switch. I got to the battery by removing the rear deck from the inside. Then I used a back scratcher to re-attach the battery cable and open the trunk (boot).

A guy came by today to remove the alarm and now it's all good. He's even going get my radio going again.

Woohoo!!

Thanks,
Z.