Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   wiper assembly (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/wiper-assembly-2829/)

miniuser 01-23-2010 08:20 PM

wiper assembly

I have a 2005 and am replacing wiper assembly - the mounting nut is low behind battery box.
I can not get electrical harness off and am thinking of drilling an access hole in back of battery box to get at nut.

it is not the "correct" way but a work around -
two questions
1- how do I remove battery box electrical harnesses - i have pulled back on what appears to be locking clips but these pesky buggers will not budge
2- any problems with having a hole in battery box

Thanks

bad venge 01-23-2010 08:33 PM

I'm assuming that this is not an S , as the battery is in the boot...
I'd recomend getting the service manual , I'm SURE that cutting holes is not the proper way and could cause more troubles then it saves

bad venge 01-23-2010 08:46 PM

If it's just the MOTOR do this :
I replaced my front wiper motor this morning and it only took 30min.

You don't need to remove the hood or the cowl or cut any bolts or anything.

It takes only a 13mm socket, a deep 10mm socket, a 10mm wrench, and a flathead screwdriver.

1.) Remove the drivers side cowl vent. This takes the flat head as there are 3 clips on the top which need to be popped.

2.) Undo the 13mm nut holding the linkage to the motor. This will probably require you to move the linkage out of the way to remove.

3.) Undo 3 10mm bolts. You can use the socket on the top 2, but it is easiest to remove the lower one with the wrench.

4.) Remove the motor via the left side of the bracket. This takes a bit of manuvering, but should only take about 5 minutes max.

5.) Unclip the wiring harness from the motor.

6.) Install using the reverse of the directions above.

When installing everything back, it is important to make sure the wipers and linkage are set in the "off" position, otherwise when the motor completes a cycle, they may not end up in this position.

There you go, that's how it is done. Not too much time, and no reason to spend any more $$ than the parts themselves cost.

miniuser 01-23-2010 09:41 PM

wiper assembly

not just motor - whole assembly needs replacing.

Service manual - I have pulled the harness clips - but they just will not budge and I fear breaking something so I think that there is a trick to getting them off so that the battery box can be removed.

and yes - it is not an S - sorry I left that off.

so if anyone knows how to unclip the electrical harness found to the right of the battery on a 2005 - I would be grateful for any information

bad venge 01-23-2010 10:14 PM

I'd bet you could do the same thing on the other side popping the cowl vent and changing it out thru there ... Or removing the entire cowl assembly

miniuser 01-24-2010 03:28 PM

wiper assembly replacement

ok - so pulling the computer allowed more of the electrical harness clips to be pulled and they came right off... battery box next - less than 1 min.

so unlike other posts about the wiper motor - mine was a broken wiper arm.
I had to remove all in front - leaving brake booster. - 10 15 min

I took the existing motor off then the arm assembly. - 5-8 min

then to put new one in I took new motor off new assembly, put new motor in first hooking electrical back, then maneuvered arm assembly into place. The arms were the most difficult, moving hydraulics out of way - 8-10 minutes

installed motor back to bracket, then three wiper assembly anchor bolts, 3-5 mins.

then it was replacing everything I took off or loosened and battery box and battery... - 15- 20 min.

it does not add up but - I think 1 1 /2 hours to get it all out and all in...

bad venge 01-24-2010 03:34 PM

Thats why the dealer charges near $500 to do it

miniuser 02-02-2010 06:59 AM

wiper assembly replacement continued

I did actually only need the arm assembly the motor was fine.
but to install new assembly it came with motor - so now I have replacement motor in the event mine shold go out. fingers crossed.